Queries about 1Password7

Annamarie Pluhar
Annamarie Pluhar
Community Member

I have loved 1Password. I've gotten tens of clients to install it. I'm not so sure about 1P7. I need help understanding some things...

1) Why can't a client install the Safari extension? It keeps prompting her but the only one that installs is is for 4.3 - I can't find a way to get the extension I have which is 7.2.4. Where is it?
2) What's this 1PasswordX? It seems to connect to my account and slows down opening passwords. Am I using it when I get the prompt keystroke shift-command X to open it?
3) It seems that the browser extensions (chrome and safari) run independently of the mini in the menu bar. Is that right? What's the point of the mini if I have to unlock it separately?
4) How can the user anchor a login to stay open? I find it annoying that if I have half of the login and put it in 1P disappears and I have to reopen it.

I do LOVE, LOVE how it works in iOS. And I think once I understand the extensions vs. mini better I'll be fine. And the scan code for setting up multiple devices is genius!

I just need to be able to be clear enough as I coach non-computer literate elders on how to use 1P.

Thanks

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2019
    1. Apple changed the way extension work in Safari on OS 10.14. The old download direct from AgileBits can no longer be installed. It is still possible to install from the Safari Extensions Gallery, but even this is scheduled to disappear shortly. Once that happens, all extensions will have to be part of the application. That's why you have extension 7.2.4, it's part of 1PW 7.2.4 and is not available separately.

2. As I understand it (though I'm not exactly familiar with it) 1PasswordX is intended for those who don't have (or don't want) the native app, for instance users on Linux or Chromebook, and works in the browser only. If you actually have a native 1PW (Mac or Windows), the ordinary extension may be better. You should not use both 1PasswordX and the ordinary extension.

3. The Mini itself is a major part of the program. However you don't have to have a menu bar item for it (set in Preferences > General). You certainly don't need to unlock it separately from the main program (or extension). I'm not sure why you think that, perhaps you have the unlock settings not as you would like them.

• Good morning @Annamarie Pluhar , and thanks for taking the time to write in. @danco, thank you for the assist. 🙂

I will take your questions one at a time here:

1) Why can't a client install the Safari extension? It keeps prompting her but the only one that installs is is for 4.3 - I can't find a way to get the extension I have which is 7.2.4. Where is it?

Starting with 1Password 7.2 the Safari extension is now built into 1Password itself. When you install 1Password you automatically install the Safari extension. To enable it, open Safari, go to Preferences > Extensions and check the box next to 1Password.

2) What's this 1Password X? It seems to connect to my account and slows down opening passwords. Am I using it when I get the prompt keystroke shift-command X to open it?

1Password X is our full featured web extension for Chrome and Firefox. It runs independently of 1Password for Mac and at this time the two do not communicate. There is a separate extension you can install to use 1Password for Mac within Chrome and Firefox. You can install it from here if you find it suits your workflow better: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

3) It seems that the browser extensions (chrome and safari) run independently of the mini in the menu bar. Is that right? What's the point of the mini if I have to unlock it separately?

It sounds like this may be the result of using both 1Password X and 1Password for Mac on the same machine. When using 1Password for Mac by itself the menu bar icon is your single point of interaction with 1Password in your browser.

4) How can the user anchor a login to stay open? I find it annoying that if I have half of the login and put it in 1P disappears and I have to reopen it.

There's a button for that:

• Annamarie Pluhar
    Annamarie Pluhar
    Community Member

Very helpful. I have removed Password X from my computer. However #1 is a problem. Not for me - for my client. I meet with her is 15 minutes. The only extension that I can find for Safari is 1Password 4 something.. Where/how do I get the 1P7 on her machine? She is running 1P7.

• Annamarie Pluhar
    Annamarie Pluhar
    Community Member

I mean if I open her 1P7 and chose the Safari extension is STILL gives her the old one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Annamarie Pluhar - if your client already has 1Password 7 for Mac installed on her Mac, and you still are only seeing version 4.7.3.90 in Safari's Preferences > Extensions, then my question would be: what version of Safari is she using, and what version of 1Password? If she's still on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) or earlier, then she may be using Safari 11, which does not (cannot) use the new Safari App Extension required by Safari 12 (and used in all versions of 1Password 7 for Mac starting with version 7.2. Find out what version of macOS and of Safari she's using. If it's not Safari 12, she will not be able to use Safari App Extension version 7.2+ requires and will need to stick with either 1Password 6 for Mac and the older 4.7.3.90 version of our extension, or any version of 1Password 7 for Mac LOWER than 7.2 (7.1.2 is the latest of these) and the 4.7.3.90 extension.

• Annamarie Pluhar
    Annamarie Pluhar
    Community Member

AH HA! That's a big help. I know she's not on Mojave. It would be nice if there were some explaination of this somewhere.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Annamarie Pluhar - as a security company, we can't really do anything besides recommend users keep their hardware, OS and software (including ours) as up-to-date as possible, in good conscience. Yes, we understand that some users either literally cannot upgrade because of hardware limitations of older device models or their own personal preference. But device and OS and software upgrades are typically filled with enough security updates that it's verging on malpractice for us to be officially giving advice out about how to run retired, legacy versions of things -- or indeed, anything but the current version. That's why we don't post disclaimers and advice in our static pages about such things, though we are willing to assist individual customers directly in certain circumstances, where we can communicate 1-on-1 with them and remind them this isn't something we recommend, and that eventually all attempts to keep one or more pieces of a system frozen in time will run head-first into the brick wall of obsolescence. If you can, I'd urge your client to upgrade to Mojave, which ships with Safari 12 and will allow you to use the most-recent version of 1Password 7 for Mac. :)

This discussion has been closed.