When changing password only username is also changed?

Often when changing the password only on a website the username is also changed.

Actually it happend on https://bethesda.net.
First I login to my account...

Now I edit my profile to change password...

1Password X asks to update the entry...

After logout I want to login again, but now the username has changed to my email address.

So I have to edit the entry in 1Password X again to change the username back from email address to real username.

May be you can reproduce this behaviour and may be you can fix this? It would be really nice, because this was not the first time this happened.

Thx in advance,
DenalB

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Firefox 64.0.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

Hi @DenalB,

Thanks to the detailed report I was able to easily reproduce the issue you found after I created a test account. I've never been a fan of trying to detect when the username might have changed as it's something that will only rarely be useful and if 1Password gets it wrong then we may very well have overwritten something that isn't easy to retrieve. I will file a report and if you find other sites where this happens please do let me know as each helps to shape what we should do if the behaviour is to change.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#338

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

"Thanks to the detailed report I was able to easily reproduce the issue you found after I created a test account."
    I have to thank you for creating a test account on a site you wont use anymore. ;)

"and if 1Password gets it wrong then we may very well have overwritten something that isn't easy to retrieve"
    Right. That's the main problem. You never know if the username (or something else) was changed when changing the password. You will recognize this "failure" when trying to logon to a website. And it is difficult to recover correct login settings if the last login was long time ago. :)

"I will file a report"
    Thank you very much @littlebobbytables .

"if you find other sites where this happens please do let me know"
    I will definitely do.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @DenalB,

I have an entire vault dedicated to test items and it's something I'm more than happy to do if it helps us reproduce issues :smile: The only times I don't are when a site makes it nigh on impossible to create an account easily. It's a pity because those are almost always utilities or financial institutes which tend to also be the ones using the oddest mechanisms for thwarting automated filling and represent the sites people want to protect the most.

Where possible though I don't let now having an existing account stop me :wink:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Where possible though I don't let now having an existing account stop me

Actually I'm changing nearly 300 passwords and I think that there wil be one or the other account which shows this behaviour. When I found one I will give it to you.

When you fix this issue will you fix it in all apps / extensions? I'm also using the iOS and the Windows app with the "normal" extension and I don't know if this problem occurs there too. ;)

• Hi @DenalB

This doesn't seem to apply to the version of the filling logic in 1Password for Mac with the traditional browser extension. I'm not sure off-hand about 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Windows, but if this causes problems it would certainly be worth trying a different platform that you have access to.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi @Ben !

but if this causes problems it would certainly be worth trying a different platform that you have access to

Yes. I will test on iOS and Windows app with "normal" extension in Vivaldi browser, too. ;)

In Vivaldi with the 1Password extension I have to manually generate a new password. And 1Password doesn't recognize the password was changed on this website. So I have to manually copy it into 1Password for Windows, too.

On iOS I have to generate the password directly in the app. So when changing the password in the app I have to copy this new password into the password fields of the website.

With this example the problem seems only to exist in 1Password X, because in all my other apps I have to generate the new password manually and copy and paste it.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Ben !

but if this causes problems it would certainly be worth trying a different platform that you have access to

I will do! :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Please delete this post. It was a double post. ;)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Tried to change password in Vivaldi and 1Password extension. I had to manually generate a new password and copy it into the fields of the site. After changing the password I had to copy the new password also into 1Password Windows app, because it didn't recognize the password change.

Also tried on iOS and here I had to generate a new password directly in the 1Password app and copy it into the fields of the website.

Only 1Password X recognized changing of the password and took it into the password entry. Only thing isn't working is that the username also changed. But with the help of 1Password X I could automatically change the password and take ot into the password entry.

So it seems that only 1Password X is affected with this problem. :)

• Hey @DenalB,

I think we can have password change pages "lock" the username in place and prevent it from being updated. We'll try it out in one of the upcoming betas. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mitch

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Mitch,

We'll try it out in one of the upcoming betas.

Great.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You're very welcome! :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.