Shortcuts pane doesn't update after correcting duplicate

Options

Hey,

It looks like the settings pane doesn't update after correcting an duplicate error:

Steps to reproduce:

• Set one of the shortcuts to the same as another one -> exclamation mark appears
  • Set the other shortcut to a different one -> exclamation mark on first one doesn't disappear

Thanks, lumarel :chuffed:

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey, @lumarel! This is actually intentional. If you change, say, the show 1Password mini shortcut to be the same as the Fill Login shortcut, only the shortcut you changed will show the error. That's because 1Password hasn't actually changed that shortcut. We can't. It's already used and Windows won't let us register it. That error isn't just letting you know it's a duplicate, it's letting you know the shortcut you set will not work. Even if you change the duplicate shortcut without the error, the one with the error still won't work, so that's something you need to address. If you dismiss the settings pane and bring it up again, you'll notice the old shortcut is listed since that old shortcut is the one that's registered.

I hope that makes sense, but let me know if you've got questions and I'd be happy to help. :+1:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate,
    Ah okay I understand what you mean, and it totally makes sense :unamused:
    In my mind it just would make even more sense if I change one of the two, it could possibly also change the prevously-not-possible-to-change-one ^^

It just was a short thought (maybe there was an "guiupdate" missing), nevermind :chuffed:

• Not to worry, @lumarel! It took me a few rounds of questions to our dev team before I was convinced I got it right and even then I wasn't totally sure I explained it all that well. Kind of complicated for such a seemingly simple thing, but ultimately, we have little choice in the matter (at least for the moment). Windows simply won't let us change your shortcut to a reused one and as such, we can't quite do what you're expecting. Still, this is but our first effort at customizable keyboard shortcuts, so it's definitely something that will evolve, change and (with any luck) get much better a friendlier down the road.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and we'll certainly keep it in mind moving forward. :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    Options

I think you explained it quite well :+1:
    It's just a handycap of Windows, which can't be resolved at the time. For me this is ok, but you have to know it that it behaves like that :unamused: (if somebody would have read the balloon tip it would have already been clear :lol: )
    I'm pretty sure that there would be some time in the future to improve it, but for now this is really great and accomplishes the needed/wanted functionality quite well, thanks :chuffed:

You're welcome, always great to write with you/your colleages about some problems or mostly improvements :chuffed:

• Aw, thanks so much, @lumarel! We're always delighted to hear from y'all too. Our customers and your feedback is one of our most valuable resources so we really do appreciate y'all taking the time to share your feedback. Keep it coming. :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    Options

:chuffed: :+1:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lumarel: :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.