2FA for 1Pwd Account via 1Pwd?

claus
claus
Community Member

Hello,
I just activated the Two-factor authentication for my 1Pwd account. You recommend to use a Authenticator App.
Why don't you recommend the 1Pwd internal function for getting the code?
Do I make I mistake now - I get the code from a which I can not open without the code. Or, only by using 1Pwd from an other device?
Is the code only for the Web Service and not the local apps (iOS, MacOS)?
Thank you,
Claus

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Good morning, @claus. Thanks for taking the time to write in. The reason we don't recommend using 1Password itself to hold the two-factor code for your 1Password account is that you could conceivably be locked out as a result. If you are trying to sign into your account without access to your 1Password vault where the code is stored, you won't be able to sign in.

The two-factor code is used to sign into your accounts both on the web and on your computers/devices. Hope this helps!

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Thank you, @MrRooni, for the answer. I deactivated the 2FA right now and will activate it again using another application.
    I recommend to add this important detail (not using 1Pwd for the 2FA code) also on the page:
    https://my.1password.com/profile/2fa
    I know what 2FA is, so I just installed/activated it - without reading the informations on the "Learn more..." page.

• Thanks @claus. I'll make the suggestion to our web interface team that they add that sort of language directly on that page. Also, for what it's worth, you can setup multiple apps / devices to generate TOTP codes by scanning the QR code in multiple places. Personally I print the QR code and attach it to my Emergency Kit so if I ever have to set up a new authenticator I can just scan that and be done (no need to disable / re-enable, generating a new TOTP secret / QR code). This is true for any service that uses TOTP for 2FA. Just a little tip. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.