lots of problems

jdixon
jdixon
Community Member

Hi, I purchased a standalone license back in 2015. Recently, back in Dec 2018, I was prompted to upgrade to 1Password 7. It's been working fine.

Yesterday, when using the Chrome Extension to autofill, I started seeing a 1Password 7 prompt trying to sell me a membership. Unfortunately, this broke autofill, so every time I tried to autofill, I'd see this advertisement. I use autofill in Chrome heavily, so this pretty much screwed my workflow.

I tweeted 1Password and sent an email about the issue, but no response. That said, I decided to uninstall 1Password 7 and the extension from my system and re-install the app from the app store, which is where I had purchased it originally. Now, I can't get the Chrome extension working because it's asking me to sign in with my secret key, which of course I cannot find. So while I can access all of my passwords (vault is stored in iCloud), the Chrome extension is again useless.

Can you please help me get this sorted out? I'm a software engineer and this is still confusing as heck.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: OSX 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jdixon
    jdixon
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Long time user - emailed, tweeted and posted here on the forum and still not getting an answer. Really disappointed.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@jdixon 1Password 7 is either a paid upgrade from earlier versions of 1Password or available via membership subscription. what you are seeing is the expected behavior--your data is available to you, but you can't add, edit or fill until you've paid for the new version. BTW, the 1Password X extension only works when you have a Subscription account. hth

• jdixon
    jdixon
    Community Member

@vplewis i've had 1Password 7 installed since December and never had a problem until now. Why? I don't know. That said, if it is a paid upgrade, then I should have never been prompted to upgrade from 6 to 7 without the notice that I needed to pay to upgrade. Furthermore, even if I did upgrade, I should have seen an immediate prompt to pay up. That's what's frustrating.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jdixon! I'm sorry for the trouble, as well as the delay in our response. We answer user emails in the order we receive them, and we've been in a bit of a backlog for a while, after the release of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows simultaneously. However, it looks as if my colleague Laura has already replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going that way, if you don't mind.

To be clear, we don't prompt users of 1Password 6 for Mac to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac precisely because it IS a paid upgrade, so I'm a little surprised to hear you say you were "prompted to upgrade." Can I ask where you saw this prompt? Were you on our website? Using 1Password 6 for Mac? Something else? My suspicion -- based on the fact that you listed your 1Password extension version as 1.13.2 -- is that you (re)installed the extension, and instead of installing the version designed to accompany the 1Password for Mac app:

Might this have been the case?

• jdixon
    jdixon
    Community Member

Hi Lars, I don't know exactly where I was prompted. Maybe it was through the app store? It's been a few months, so I can't exactly recall. What I find strange is that I've been running 1Password 7 for at least 1 month + and just now started receiving prompts.

That said, thanks for catching the issue with the extension. That was indeed the problem and can now autofill fields again! Life is now in balance once more. Thanks for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jdixon - the month-long delay sounds exactly right, in fact, since 1password.com memberships come with a 30-day free trial.

I don't know exactly where I was prompted. Maybe it was through the app store?

If you open the Mac App Store on your desktop, you might very well see 1Password placed by Apple in "new" or "Editor's Choice" or even in a recent "story" (a feature of the new Mac App Store in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)). Not sure I'd call those "ads," or a "prompt to upgrade," since they're the actual location to download the new version, but I'm sorry for any confusion. To be clear, there is not any in-app prompt of any kind in 1Password 6 for Mac to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, because it IS a new version, and requires a new purchase.

Glad to hear you were able to sort out the extensions issue and get things on the up and up again. Cheers! :)

• jdixon
    jdixon
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Thanks - it may be that I didn't know I was opted into a 30 day trial and hence not realizing it was a paid upgrade. Either way, all is good now. THANK YOU!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jdixon - you're quite welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.