Error: Failed attempt to launch program or document

Options

When I invoke the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+\ outside of a web browser, I get this error in a popup.

1password-desktoplauncher.exe

Error: Failed attempt to launch program or document:
Action: <C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\1Password.exe>
Params: < >

Specifically: The system cannot find the file specified.

Line#
--> 012: Run, "C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\1Password.exe"

The current thread will exit.

I have installed the latest beta (7.3.661). I've tried removing 1Password from Windows using the "Apps & Features" program and also the legacy "Programs and Features" interface (Start > Run > control appwiz.cpl)

I also emptied 1Password's appdata directory (%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password). Even in this state, the error still occurs.

I don't really remember why I would have installed such an old version. Any tips for purging it so it won't hijack the keyboard shortcut any longer?

1Password Version: 7.3.661
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @allenellis,

Thanks for reporting this.

1password-desktoplauncher.exe

I have no idea what that is, we never had that file name before, so I don't have a quick answer for you in this case. Did you ever use a third party app to start 1Password in the past, like an app launcher?

Can you do a search on your system for that file to remove it?

You may want to run Microsoft's Autoruns tool here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

It'll show all the places where Windows will start programs from; search for that file name.

I also emptied 1Password's appdata directory (%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password). Even in this state, the error still occurs.

That's because that's the 1Password 7 directory, we don't use it for the previous 1Password 1-4 versions. For these versions, they were installed to Program Files (x86) > 1Password.

• allenellis
    allenellis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

Thanks for getting back!

Ok that makes a lot more sense. A fun fact is that this afternoon Windows 10 installed an update / rebooted and of course the problem went away 🙄🤦‍♂️😂

That being said you've intrigued me, and as the error implies, Program Files (x86) > 1Password doesn't exist, so I searched my filesystem for 1password-desktoplauncher.exe. Lo and behold, it is located in C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\1password-desktoplauncher\content

Looking at my old notes, that probably came from this script I ran earlier:

choco install -y 1password
    choco install -y 1password-desktoplauncher

Which came from here: https://chocolatey.org/packages/1password-desktoplauncher

So I guess the package maintainer just needs to make an update. Thanks again for your help!

• Hi @allenellis,

A fun fact is that this afternoon Windows 10 installed an update / rebooted and of course the problem went away 🙄🤦‍♂️😂

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️The number of times we see this is too high. If we had a nickel for every time, we'd be rich as Bill Gates.

So I guess the package maintainer just needs to make an update. Thanks again for your help!

Yep, the package maintainer just needs to update his script to remove the shortcut if 1Password 4 was uninstalled; since there's nothing to launch as the shortcut to 1Password 4 is no longer valid.

This discussion has been closed.