Would someone explain the purposes of Vaults?

cappy
cappy
Community Member

or point to a resource that clearly explains it.
Are these purely for organizational purposes, ie keeping work Logins separate from personal logins?

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cappy - sure, I'd be happy to take a crack at it. :) Vaults are containers that hold your 1Password information. They can certainly be "organizational," but they're not simply folders, as each one has a separate cryptographic key. If you're a single user, it doesn't make nearly as much difference, since you are Lord, Master, Sole Citizen and Head Janitor of your 1Password setup; you hold all the keys and are the only user. But in sharing setups like 1Password Families or 1Password Business, that's when having separate keys for each vault really starts to be useful. It's how the Shared vault can be accessed by everyone, but your Private vault can only be seen/decrypted by you, and how you can create a new vault with special permissions, where only some people (the Marketing team, for instance) can see the contents, etc. Hope that's helpful, but if you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask! :)

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars
    What I was wondering is- does it make sense for a single user to have multiple vaults?
    1 for personal, 1 for work, 1 for finances, 1 for hobbies ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cappy - so, there are things you can do with tags that are pretty flexible. You could easily create a "work" tag (or many different ones, as suits your needs/setup), and then filter by those. But you can do things with vaults that you can't do with tags. For example, if you have a 1Password Families account but you want to be able to use your personal stuff on your own device(s) and your work stuff ONLY on your work PC or Mac, then if you create a new vault and call it "work", you can invite a "guest" user - or even a second real user who is actually just you at a different email address, then sign in using that user from work, so that ONLY your work items in the "Work" vault would ever be present on that work PC or Mac. In my own 1Password Families setup, we each have our own Personal vaults of course, and there's the default Shared vault which my wife and kids have access to as well as me. But I've created a "Parents" vault that only my wife and I (not the kids) have access to, for things WE need to share but the kids don't. You get the idea. That's something that can't be done with tags. However, if it were JUST me? I doubt I'd have too many separate vaults if it were just for organization purposes.

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

I am using a Family account, only as of a week ago.
    We don't have everything setup on the other family members devices yet, since they are running an older verison of iOS.
    I hope to get that resolved this week

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cappy - sounds good! Let us know if you have any questions as you get things set up, or if you run into any problems. Good luck! :) :+1:

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

I've got 1 shared valut with 1 family member, and 1 personal and work vault for myself. I'll leave it at that for now.

Thank you

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cappy - excellent. And you're quite welcome. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.