Newbie question? Is 1Password supposed to auto-fill know login forms?

rsoesemann
rsoesemann
Community Member

I'm currently a trial user and not fully get how 1Password is supposed to work. I stored a lot of passwords in there but I expected the tool to at least auto populate Login forms when I open them. I find my self constantly looking and clicking the 1Password icon. Retyping my super-long passphrase.

I get why Apple and 1Password doesn't auto-submit any more but without autofilling 1Password is way to clunky for me.

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Chrome+Firefox
OS Version: Mac Os Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW does NOT automatically fill in details when you go to a login page, you have to ask it to do so (this is for security).

You should have 1PW unlocked (if locked you will be asked for your password, but you can decide how often you want it to lock).

Then the key combination command-/ will fill in the details, and pressing Return will (almost always) actually submit the login.

• rsoesemann
    rsoesemann
    Community Member

Then it's useless. I switched to Dashlane.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You are entitled to prefer Dashlane.

But it's certainly NOT useless, since all that's ever needed is a couple of keystrokes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, and it's much better from a security perspective to not have sensitive data squirted into webpages without any interaction from you. Browser autofill can do that for free if that's what you really want, but I and many others prefer to be in control o four data and where it goes.

This discussion has been closed.