Detecting password fields on password change forms

Options
rxguy
rxguy
Community Member

I've noticed an issue with the iOS version of 1Password not detecting password fields appropriately. For example, last night I was on the Twitter app and wanted to change my password to something more secure. I typed in my current password, and then for the new password fields I opened 1Password (as prompted at the bottom of my screen with 1Password being the default password manager) -> selected generate new password, and then did "save and fill". It replaced my the "current password" with my generated password, and did not fill the change password fields. Not the expected behavior, I would expect the "current password" field to stay the same, and the new password fields to be filled in.

I notice this happening frequently with different apps I use (trying to slowly change all my passwords to something stronger). Out of curiosity, what kind of algorithm does 1Password use to differentiate current password vs new password fields? (does it know it's entered once and then confirmed, so needs to be filled twice?). Do you need to code it specifically for all third party apps or is it just generally applying itself to all apps?

Is there any easier way to change passwords? (generate new secure one, and update the stored 1Password). More often than not it's not a smooth process as described above.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rxguy

There are two different ways in which we offer integration with 3rd party apps for saving / filling passwords:

1. iOS 12's Password AutoFill feature. This is available and works in just about every iOS app, but it isn't a 1Password developed feature. We function as a data provider / recipient for it. This is a relatively new feature, just introduced in iOS 12, so I won't be surprised if further development with it is coming.
    2. The 1Password extension. This unfortunately is only available in a limited subset of iOS apps because each app developer has to build the extension into their app. This option does give us much more flexibility though in most cases. For example, the 1Password extension is able to fill forms that have 3 fields, whereas Password AutoFill does not have that capability.

There is certainly room for improvement in this regard with both of these options. That said: do you have access to 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows? If so you may find it more convenient to make password changes there, where the browser integration is much tighter.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.