just signed up but can't log in..says my key is wrong. It's not wrong!

Options
vleibold
vleibold
Community Member

I am trying to use 1password for the first time and get setup. I keep getting the message that my secret key is wrong and it even tells me what the 1st few characters should be but it doesn't match the numbers I in my emergency kit. I have tried it many times with the same message coming up. What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secret key not correct

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @vleibold! I'm sorry for the trouble. Did you perhaps have a previous 1password.com account, either on your own, or with a current or former employer? I'm wondering whether that might account for a second (now-outdated) Emergency Kit? Regardless of whether that's true, can you currently sign into your account using a browser instead of in 1Password for Mac? If you go to https://my.1password.com/ are you able to sign in?

• vleibold
    vleibold
    Community Member
    Options

No, I can't. I have never used 1passport before nor has any of my family. I literally just purchased it to try for the first time yesterday. It allowed me to register my email address. That had never been used before. The only think I can think of is I may have tried to install the program twice as there are two installers on my MAC. However, I have searched and searched there is only one Emergency Kit on my laptop with only one secret key number and it is not the one the program thinks I have. What can i do?

• vleibold
    vleibold
    Community Member
    Options

Okay...yes! I was able to sign in through the 1password website. It accepts my secret key as correct. However, when I try to sign in using the application on my MAC it STILL thinks my secret key should be something else. Please, how can I resolve this?

• ag_jeremy
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi vleibold! I see your email and, if you don't mind, we can continue the conversation there.

This discussion has been closed.