Force Sync

2»

Comments

• Hey @Spaf, if you're seeing similar issues with 1Password for Mac not syncing the changes you made on another device, can you go ahead and follow Greg's instructions in his most recent reply above to send us a Diagnostic Report via email?

That Diagnostic Report should help us identify what's happening on your end of things, and hopefully lead to us getting things working properly again for you. 😊

• Spaf
    Spaf
    Community Member

Done

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spaf,

Thank you for the report! We received it and get back to you via email soon. Thanks again! :+1:

ref: VDT-14651-414

• fsmedberg
    fsmedberg
    Community Member

I have exactly the same problem as Spaf descriged. Changed password yesterday for multiple accounts Watchtower notified me about. This was done on a Windows 10 machine. The passwords haven't synced yet 24 h later to my iPhone or my Mac.

Devices:
    Intel i5 standalone computer, Windows 10 (version 10.0.18363)
    1Password v7.6.785

MacBook Pro 13 (M1), Mac OS X Big Sur 11.1
    1Password 7.7.1 Beta 4 (M1 version)

iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.3
    1Password 7.7

• Spaf
    Spaf
    Community Member

The cause of my issue appears to have been a clock synchronization issue between the two systems. The advice I was given was to go to HTTP://time.is on each system and see if it reported they were synchronized. Lo and behold, one was not! (Not quite sure how ntp had gotten turned off, but there we are.)

I also found you can force a synchronization if you go to preferences, then under vaults uncheck your vaults. Wait a few seconds and check them on again, and it seems to force a synchronization with the server.

I hope that helps!

• fsmedberg
    fsmedberg
    Community Member

Update: Locking 1Password on the Mac and unlocking it solved the sync issue on both the Mac and iOS. To be clear, I did not lock the iOS device. That device just synced seconds after I performed the stunt on the Mac, even though both the Mac and iOS was equally not synced moments before it.

• Spaf
    Spaf
    Community Member

The cause of my issue appears to have been a clock synchronization issue between the two systems. The advice I was given was to go to HTTP://time.is on each system and see if it reported they were synchronized. Lo and behold, one was not! (Not quite sure how ntp had gotten turned off, but there we are.)

I also found you can force a synchronization if you go to preferences, then under vaults uncheck your vaults. Wait a few seconds and check them on again, and it seems to force a synchronization with the server.

I hope that helps!

• I'm glad to hear things are now working properly for you both, @Spaf & @fsmedberg 😍

1Password will automatically attempt to sync anytime an unlock event occurs, so no need to go into preferences and tinker with the vaults there!

• jjmaestro
    jjmaestro
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

I'm having issues syncing from 1passwordX to 1password7 in OSX, on the same computer. I'm adding it in this thread since it seems to be the best place I found, even if it's under "Windows".

I've just made changes in the extension and the item is never showing up as modified on the desktop app. I've locked and unlocked several times, etc. I've followed the steps and I've sent an email with the report.

Finally, I agree with a previous post where it says that the answers provided are extremely patronizing. The whole "we want to hear about it to fix issues" is as easy as adding telemetry when the users do a "force sync". Pop up a dialog saying "Do you want to notify us so we can debug the issue?" and the users that want to do that will contribute. Also, regardless of the button, many users will still come here to tell you and will work with you to run diagnostics, etc.

Forcing people to go through your flow is extremely inconvenient and leaves users broken for a loooong time until you address the issue, reply, etc. For some complex bugs I totally understand. But sync issues, when you are already supporting "force sync" on some devices... seriously, get your act together and add the functionality. We are paying customers.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jjmaestro:

I've followed the steps and I've sent an email with the report.

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• shrimppesto
    shrimppesto
    Community Member

For me, struggling w/ markedly delayed sync from 1Password X to 1Password 7 Mac for quite some time, I found that forcing the 1Password desktop process to re-launch from scratch (i.e. including restarting its hidden/background process) seems to force a re-sync; lock/unlock and quit/relaunch doesn't always succeed in doing the same thing.

Mac instructions that worked for me (your mileage may vary):

If your 1Password menu bar extra (the little clickable icon in the menu bar, by the clock) is enabled: Opt-click said menu bar icon, then select "Quit 1Password Completely" ... then, relaunch 1Password.

If the menu bar extra is NOT enabled: Go to Activity Monitor, find the process for 1Password 7, and force quit it there (highlight, then hit the STOP button, and select Force Quit).

If you're familiar with Terminal, any of the following will do the same:
    killall -HUP "1Password 7"
    ps xww | grep 1P; kill [insert pid of 1Password 7]

Agree w/ all commenters that (1) this should be a button or menu bar item, -AND- (2) this should be formally troubleshot by developers. As with all cloud/sync apps, it's rather frustrating not to have a "please fix this now" button to mash on, and the end-user benefits of such a button outweigh the risks when the bug is clearly present yet difficult to localize (and, in some instances, may not even under the control of 1Password developers). As an example of both the good and the bad, Apple preserves this functionality in some places and not in others (sometimes explicit, e.g. Rebuild command in Mail.app; sometimes hidden, e.g. trying to scroll-up beyond the top of a list). 1Password has the luxury of not having to sync a 10GB photo library, so the "costs" of force sync are relatively low. In my opinion, the main risk of such a button for -users- is that they will become trained to mash on the button indiscriminately (a la "quitting all your apps" in iOS); that seems like a relatively minor risk.

Full diagnostic report submitted to 1Password Support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@shrimppesto:

Full diagnostic report submitted to 1Password Support.

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: JPI-29645-199

This discussion has been closed.