Updating on Windows Requires Reboot

Honestly, ever since the extension update to Firefox where it switched to the new version, 1Password has been nothing but trouble.

Everytime I update 1Password it now requires a full computer restart. Why? I haven't changed anything in the way I update. I close Firefox, make sure the process is closed via Task Manager and then update 1Password. This used to work fine previously, but ever since the recent changes it now requires a full reboot. If you don't reboot and Check for Updates it tells you there is a new update, which is the one you just installed. If you try applying that update it tells you the previous update has not completed.

This is extremely frustrating, especially with how often Firefox updates which breaks the 1Password extension unless you update 1Password. It feels like every other day I'm forced to reboot my computer.

I hope support can look into this as there's no reason a reboot should be required. My hunch leans toward the 1Password Helper that Firefox now connects to, but that's just a hunch.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2012
    alamarco wrote:

Everytime I update 1Password it now requires a full computer restart. Why?

A reboot is required whenever our installer needs to overwrite a file that is in-use at the time of the installation.

When auto-update is turned on and you update from within our app, then there should be no need for a reboot.

When you download and then execute an update manually, then our updater might require a reboot. This is a known issue, but not necessarily a problem.

alamarco wrote:

This is extremely frustrating, especially with how often Firefox updates which breaks the 1Password extension unless you update 1Password.

Now that we have released a new (JavaScript-based) add-on, Firefox updates do not require a new version of our add-on. As a matter of fact, our new (JavaScript-based) add-on updates itself independently (independent from 1Password updates).
  • alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    I've only been updating from within the 1Password app itself, so if this isn't supposed to happen, there's an issue somewhere. If there are files in use the installer should let you know. When Firefox was open it would warn you to close Firefox to continue updated, at least that was the case in previous versions.

My guess is the Agile1pAgent process is not being closed when the update is being run. There's no option to close the helper within 1Password, so as of now my only option is to end the process via the Task Manager. Is there any other process I should be worried about?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We're planning on attaching the setup log to the Diagnostics Report, so that we can see what file is responsible for the reboot on your machine if the issue persists. I'll try to post back here once the Diagnostics Report is updated.
  • alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Thanks for the update, I look forward to that Diagnostics Report.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    @alamarco: How is 1.0.9.290 behaving?
This discussion has been closed.