iOS 12 password autofill not working with multiple logins

scotty321
scotty321
Community Member
edited March 2019 in iOS

I’m sure you guys are already aware of this, but your 1Password app for iPad doesn’t always work properly when using the Password Autofill feature of iOS 12. Your app still works properly when using the Safari share extension, but it often fails when using the Password Autofill feature. Everything works fine on macOS.

Here are just 2 of the problems we’ve had:

1. We have 2 different logins for upwork.com. No matter how many times or different ways that we try choosing the newer login, the Password Autofill feature of iOS 12 ALWAYS autofills the older login. The newer login autofills just fine when using your Safari share extension. But it always fails when using the iOS 12 Password Autofill feature. This problem is consistently reproducible for upwork.com on iPad. No idea why this always fails on upwork.com but not other sites where we have multiple logins, but there is something wrong going on here with upwork.com.

2. After changing our password on https://www.birkmayer-usa.com using 1Password for iPad’s Safari Sharing Extension, the password change works just fine. But after trying to log out and then log back in again, 1Password for iPad never fills in the right password when using the iOS 12 Password Autofill feature. Works just fine with share extension, and works just fine on the Mac. Interestingly enough, we have multiple logins that have a similar name for their login... but this time around, the 2 logins are for 2 different sites: https://www.birkmayer-usa.com and https://birkmayer-nadh.com/en/

Thanks,
Scott

1Password Version: 7.2.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @scotty321

For #1... I'm not entirely sure I understand the difficulty. What is the purpose for keeping the "older" login? For #2... can you please try opening the 1Password app and navigating to Settings > Password AutoFill? Give it a moment to refresh the cache, and then try using Password AutoFill to fill this login again. Does that work better?

Ben

• @scotty321

Perhaps you guys could make that cache update automatically on its own, since this was the cause of both of my problems??

It does, under most circumstances, though using the share sheet extension may not be one of those circumstances. I'll check with development and see what the situation there is, and if that is the case... if we can improve it.

Thanks for giving me the solution, which fixed both of my problems! :)

You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear that helped.

Autofill functionality doesn't always show the login that we WANT to autofill

Marking the item you want to fill as a favorite in 1Password will force it to the Quick Type bar, assuming you only have one favorite for the website your on. Beyond that which is chosen is left up to the Password AutoFill feature itself. We've bounced around some ideas about how we might further push ordering to Password AutoFill, but haven't come up with a solid plan yet (and may not).

but then all of those other logins are in some random order that we can't figure out. Would be nice to have the logins show up in alphabetical order, because we've usually changed the names of our logins so that our most frequently-used login for each website shows up first alphabetically.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ben

• Thanks! Just to clarify, I only used the share sheet extension to create the login in #2 above, not #1. Both of my UpWork.com logins were originally created in the macOS version of 1Password.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Ooh, this is a good tip! Thanks!

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• iZian
    iZian
    Community Member

Just to note that this solution also solve issue but the issue was a bit different but I think the problem is linked.
    My issue was that the AutoFill options were never presenting me with my passwords for the site directly and never getting the nice iOS prompt to just log in, the only thing I ever got was a button that effectively popped up 1Password which would then offer passwords for that site.

I tried turning off and on the 1Password option in iOS settings for AutoFill. I tried opening and closing the app and updating the websites in the password.
    Nothing helped.

Then I found this page and thought, ok why not.
    So I went to the settings in 1P and went to that menu and the screen you see there looks the same as the screen you see when you turn off and on the option in iOS settings except this time there’s a green tick at the top and this time when I go into safari now like magic it actually directly lets me select a login above they keyboard and gives me the magic direct login box from iOS using the info from 1Password.

So there’s either a bad cache issue going on, corrupted by updates, or it’s just not updating when you have the app open or in the background.
    I use 1Password almost exclusively via the AutoFill and extension options these days but I do open the app now and again.

Appreciate that we have moved on iOS versions since this post and several app versions but I post this in case someone else Google’s and hits this post with the correct fix for the issues

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in! Indeed, it's tricky because iOS Password Autofill is effectively a black box for us and for the user. Most of the time it works, and when it does, the simplicity is really awesome since it is really accessible to people. But when iOS has some stale data, have 1Password try to refresh it can help, or, failing that, disabling it in iOS completely and then turning it back on. Anyway, glad things are working for you again. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.