Force Users to Log Out of Account

Options
Mark3
Mark3
Community Member

My ex and I shared a 1password account and have divorced. I have changed the master password and secret key. Can she remain logged in? Can I, as the admin, force closed her 1password access to my account? She is on OSX and iOS at least.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OSX 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mark3: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that you're going though that. :(

From the information you included in your post, it sounds like you probably don't have an account at all. To be clear, you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Otherwise you would be using 1Password without an account and syncing your own data -- which it looks like you've doing via iCloud.

With a 1Password membership account, you would probably have each had your own, as part of a 1Password Families membership, so you wouldn't need to change anything as far as your ow,n data, just unshare any shared data and probably get setup with separate accounts. It would not be necessary to change your Master Password unless you told it to them. Again, it doesn't sound like that's you're situation, but I want to include that for completeness in case it helps you for anyone else.

In the case of using the standalone 1Password app(s) with a license and local vaults, you'd both have the Master Password to a shared vault, otherwise you could both not access it. So you would definitely need to change it after disabling sync.

However, no matter what, as with real life, you cannot take back secrets that you have already given someone. The only thing you can do is not share future secrets. For example, if I tell you my password is I<3Nick1eback (don't judge), I can't just take it back later: you already know! Similarly, when you share data with someone, though maybe they haven't viewed it, you don't really know if they memorized it, made a copy of it, etc., so you should proceed assuming they have it all. In my example, the only thing I can do is stop sharing the note with my password in it and then change that password. That way you only know my old password and do not have access to the new one. Easier said than done if you have shared a lot of secrets with someone, but that will ensure that they don't have access to things in perpetuity.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.