1Password 7 browser extensions not working (just flashes screen) and menubar button does nothing

Options
drewe2000
drewe2000
Community Member

The title sums it up, but here is more detail.
I have not updated anything recently, but in the last day it appears that 1Password has stopped working in both Safari and Chrome (it is behaving the same).

MacOS: 10.14 (Mojave)
Safari: Version 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9)
Chrome: Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
1Password: Version 7.2.5 (70205004)

I have restarted my Mac a few times, removed the browser extensions and reinstalled them. The extension buttons in the browser have improved from not responding at all, to flashing to the 1Password7 app (not the 1Password extension popup window) for a split second, then returning to the browser window. The shortcut "command-/" has no effect at all (it was working recently in both browsers, with no changes on my end that I know of).
The 1Password app in the menubar does not respond at all.

I can see similar issues mentioned in the forum, but the troubleshooting seems to have gone privately to direct email, with no other solutions provided publicly (at least that I have seen).

Do you have suggested next steps?

This is especially frustrating, because although I am comfortable (although frustrated) with troubleshooting this, the rest of my family is not patient when 1Password does not work for them. Especially if I can't solve it with routine measures.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (70205004)
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drewe2000 - I'm sorry for the trouble! If you've restarted your Mac already plus re-installed the browser extensions and you haven't made any other changes (such as to your security software/anti-virus/network filters, then I'd suggest fully quitting 1Password 7 for Mac (Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and then reinstalling 1Password itself. If you don't have the installer any more, you can visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy. Give that a whirl, restart your Mac one more time, and see if that makes any difference. If not, then we'll probably have to take your issue to email as well. Let me know how you get on, and good luck! :)

• drewe2000
    drewe2000
    Community Member
    Options

Completely quitting 1Password, reinstalling over the previous installation, restarting worked! I tried a number of fixes, but not that one, for some reason.

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome @drewe2000! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• drewe2000
    drewe2000
    Community Member
    Options

It works, as a solution, but I just had to do it again. It does not seem like something that should be necessary routinely (or ever).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drewe2000: in order to fix this, what did you do this time? Did you just restart 1Password or did you have to reinstall the browser extension like last time?

• drewe2000
    drewe2000
    Community Member
    Options

This time it required:
    quitting 1Password completely, (then I also quit Chrome), and then reinstalling 1Password over my existing installation, and restarting Chrome. It immediately worked again, but only removing and reinstalling the chrome plugin didn’t help.

I wish I had checked (before reinstalling) to see if it worked in Safari, but I forgot to do so.

I am very happy with 1Password. I’m just not sure why this happened. I did have a ridiculous number of tabs open in Chrome, but that’s not new.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drewe2000: a reinstall would solve pretty much every possible issue, so it will be difficult to understand what was happening at this point in time, after the app has been reinstalled already. However, should this happen again in the future, please send us a diagnostic report from your Mac to support+forum@agilebits.com as soon as this starts happening, before you attempt to fix this.

This way, we can hopefully see the problem while it is happening in "real time" ;)

This discussion has been closed.