Deleting Dropbox' Conflict Copies

Options
Community Member

First of all, I know, a lot has been written about Dropbox' conflict copies in the forums. However, some pieces of information - at least to me - are missing:

In one of my .opvault folders, there are several files that look like this: "F6C12[hash shortened]70_E211708[hash shortened]18C4 ([computer name replaced] in Konflikt stehende Kopie 2018-07-05).attachment" (German string, meaning conflicted copy). The problem with these type of files is, that their names are rather long. I regularily sync my Dropbox to an encrypted Synology NAS that has a filename length limit of 143 characters. In these cases those files are too long and I have to manually delete them. Of course without losing valuable data.
When I filter for "conflict fields are present" in the 1Password main application, it lists several entries but does not provide any further information what's wrong with those entries. However, as I regularly use those conflicted entries in 1Password, I assume that they are correct.

Questions:

• Is it save to manually delete those conflict files (as they are old) without corrupting the vault?
  • Is there a reason they have not been auto-deleted by 1Password? (I read in one discussion that this should happen.)
  • How do I find out about the exact inconsistencies or conflicts on an entry when using the mentioned filter? And how do I manually resolve those?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @89234569234865! I can't tell from just your description, but I'd be willing to bet that the conflict fields are a result of this:

I regularily sync my Dropbox to an encrypted Synology NAS that has a filename length limit of 143 characters.

We don't recommend using NAS syncing in addition to Dropbox syncing, because errors like these can result. What's likely happening is that Dropbox syncing is occurring at the same time as Synology syncing, though there are other possibilities and it's difficult to say for certain, as we don't have much insight into and NO control over the sync processes of either of those solutions. That's one of the main reasons we recommend 1password.com accounts: because there, we built a specialized sync solution that we know end-to-end and can control and troubleshoot all aspects of, which is designed to sync ONLY your 1Password data. I'd recommend the steps in this guide for troubleshooting Dropbox sync issues; it contains all our steps to figure out what might be going wrong.

Community Member
    Options

Hello @Lars

Thank you for replying!

I really need this problem solved. The sync problem you describe has nothing to do with the NAS as those entries existed way before doing so. Additionally, the NAS "sync" is more like a mirror-backup. At the moment I sync it unencrypted but this is what I want to change. That's why I need to get rid of the mentioned files. I don't want to use 1password.com sync.

Could you please answer my questions?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@89234569234865 - I'd recommend you experiment with it. In 1Password 7 for Mac, click File > Backup to make a full backup of the current state of your data. Then try it for yourself. You can of course remove conflict fields within 1Password itself (if these are 1Password conflicts you're referring to and not Dropbox sync conflicts). But if they're Dropbox sync conflicts, you may want to direct your questions to Dropbox themselves, as that process is not under our control whatsoever. If you've made a full backup of your data, you can experiment without fear of data loss or corruption; if something goes wrong, you can restore to the backup and try again, and if you get the result you want, you'll not only have the result you want but also have learned something valuable you can use for future sync issues.

Community Member
    Options

@Lars I am aware of all that. The only reason I need your help is to get insights in 1Password's internal mechanics. Of course I could trial and error my way through but this approach might cause hidden errors on the way I might not recognize instantly and regret later on. Even though the files were created by Dropbox, those questions are unrelated and Dropbox support would rightfully point at your support to answer these:

"Is it save to manually delete those conflict files (as they are old) without corrupting the vault?"
    --> I know Dropbox does not care if I delete those. I am asking if it will corrupt the vault or cause hidden issues if I delete files from. Again, not a Dropbox issue/question.

"Is there a reason they have not been auto-deleted by 1Password? (I read in one discussion that this should happen.)"
    --> Background: On https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87559/conflicted-copy-via-dropbox MikeT from 1Password wrote "Eventually, 1Password 7 will clean it up for you.". I am asking what could have been the reason this has not be done by 1P. Dropbox unrelated.

"How do I find out about the exact inconsistencies or conflicts on an entry when using the mentioned filter? And how do I manually resolve those?"
    --> This is actually a 1P usability question and completely unrelated to Dropbox. The filter says there are conflicts but the UI does not show any. So how do I find out about the conflicts and debug them?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@89234569234865

Is it save to manually delete those conflict files (as they are old) without corrupting the vault?

Probably. Make a full backup before proceeding, in case anything goes wrong.

Is there a reason they have not been auto-deleted by 1Password?

There could be a few issues. If you've been monitoring that thread you referenced, you know 1) it was referring primarily to 1Password 7 for Windows, not 1Password 7 for Mac, and 2) Mike also said: "1Password 7 does not resolve Dropbox conflicts just yet but it is coming in a future update."

How do I find out about the exact inconsistencies or conflicts on an entry when using the mentioned filter? And how do I manually resolve those?

By comparing each individual record not only within the specified record itself (for example, if "license key" is the conflict field of a Software license item, look at both the conflict copy and what's actually in the license key field in that copy, and determine from your own knowledge which is correct, and make any necessary changes). You may also wish to check from copy to copy (instance of 1Password to instance of 1Password). There is no automatic way to do this. If you're using the records successfully and nothing appears wrong to you, you can probably delete the conflict field without worry about data loss (since the item is, in your estimation, correct).

And again, if you're looking for a more-reliable method of sync which we can fully support and troubleshoot and which does not have a three-device limit, we recommend a 1password.com membership. :)

Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

And again, I will NEVER be a subscriber of 1password.com as, ultimately, I want to completely get rid of third party clouds (including Dropbox).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@89234569234865 - :) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's your choice. But I think you'll find it difficult to avoid "third party clouds", unless you build your own service. You're using at least one right now. Anyway, thanks again for your interest. Stay safe out there! :)

This discussion has been closed.