It would be great if 1Password found and deleted entries connected to dead domains

neilio
neilio
Community Member

As the subject says: I have been using 1Password almost since the beginning, and have amassed than 2000 entries in my 1Password vault. A lot of these are to domains that have died or gone offline. It would be great to surface these so they could be deleted.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Search database for dead domains

Comments

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

That would require 1Password have considerable insight into what sites you have saved.

With Watchtower the guys only need to worry about notifying users about compromised sites.

Proactively patrolling the billions of pages on the internet (and then reporting when they close down) is an impossible task.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @neilio!

Thank you for the suggestion! I am not sure how we could do this (or if there is a reasonable way to do this, as @gazu said), but I can see how this could be helpful to you.

Perhaps there is already something that could help you with this however: if you sort your items by Date Last Used, there is at least a chance that some of the oldest items are those related to websites that don't exist anymore. If you haven't logged into a website in 10 years, there is a high chance that website doesn't exist anymore (if anything, that account might not be very useful to you, so it might be a good chance to delete some unused stuff too).

I hope this helps!

• neilio
    neilio
    Community Member

Actually, no - 1password would just have to do an http request to the domain in the login URL field, and if it returns back as an error it could be flagged for follow-up by the user. No need to monitor the internet.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @neilio!

Looking for an error during an HTTP request would probably be one of the most imprecise ways to check this however: what if the site is down when we check? Or even worse, what if your network connection is down, and Watchtower flags 2000 logins?

Also, there are other problems to consider: how often would we check this? Thousands of checks multiplied by millions means a lot of traffic and potentially a lot of websites. Not to mention that, as gazu said, we collect as little information as possible for your security and privacy. Monitoring your websites constantly could be difficult to do while still respecting our core values.

Having said this, it would be a very cool feature to have, no doubts :)

• neilio
    neilio
    Community Member

What I'm describing is not constant monitoring: it would be something explicitly triggered by the user, and because this would be only the flagging of possible dead URLs the user can then verify manually if something is truly dead or not.

Many bookmark and URL saving services offer a feature like this. I recognize things are somewhat different for 1Password, but the basic concept is not really that new, nor does it require 1Password to do any kind of constant monitoring.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional feedback @neilio! :+1:

To be honest, I am more concerned with the security aspect of this, as I mentioned in my previous comment:

Not to mention that, as gazu said, we collect as little information as possible for your security and privacy.

Doing this as a one-off check would certainly help with the performance aspects, but the core privacy issue remains.

We would have to find a way to do this without knowing what websites are currently stored inside your 1Password. If implementing this feature required us to know what login items you have, I think we would prefer to keep protecting your privacy and not know this information at all, even at the cost of not being able to implement the feature.

This discussion has been closed.