How to get 1 Password NOT to lock?

drrich711
drrich711
Community Member

1Password is requiring me to enter my master password fairly frequently. Not sure if after asleep, or the exact circumstances. I want it to NEVER lock. All of the auto-locking checkboxes in preferences are unchecked. How can I get it to stop asking for the master password? Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 0S X 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drrich711!

There is no way to keep 1Password permanently unlocked. This is for your security, or your 1Password data would basically never be protected. Even if there was such a setting, you would have to enter your password at least after every reboot or app update, so I don't even think it is even technically possible to do this.

Can you please give us some more details on why you are trying to do this? A bit more context could be very useful :)

Thank you!

• drrich711
    drrich711
    Community Member

Sure. I have a computer which is mine only, located in my home and there is no chance of anyone using it. It goes to sleep after a certain period of lack of use. I believe that’s when it requires the master password. I KNOW that prior versions of 1P for Mac did not require the master password with this frequency. Thanks.

• drrich711
    drrich711
    Community Member

I understand the need after reboot or updates but it is asking much more often. Is it supposed to ask after it “wakes up” from “sleeping?”

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional details @drrich711.

Is it supposed to ask after it “wakes up” from “sleeping?”

Sleeping could definitely cause this. It certainly happens with my copy of 1Password, so it's very possible that this is why this is happening.

If you confirm that this really happens only when the computer goes to sleep, maybe your auto-sleep settings in macOS are currently a bit too aggressive. What are your settings in macOS settings when it comes to the sleep feature?

• drrich711
    drrich711
    Community Member

That’s the only thing I can think of. I want to save power, maybe I’ll change the sleep settings though as unlocking so often is a “pain”. If you could find out any other definitive information about this including anything that would work around it I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

• @drrich711

Thanks for the feedback on this. We'll continue to look for ways we can improve convenience while maintaining a high level of security. :)

ben

This discussion has been closed.