Cannot Install 1Password 7.3.657 (for Families) on a brand new Windows 10 machine

I'm sorry if this seems like a duplicate topic but none of the related posts I viewed offered a solution.

I have a new Windows 10 machine and have tried to install 1Password (for Familes) v7.3.657 without success. When I double-click on the installer, I see the "processing" pointer briefly and then the pointer returns to it's normal state and nothing further happens. The process never gets to the point of displaying the standard Windows installer window.

When I look in %localdata%\1Password\logs\setup, the setup log indicates that "Installation Successful!".

Note that 1Password was the 2nd app I tried to install on this new machine (2nd only to Chrome), so I have no virus software installed.

Any help is appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TStephens: Just to make sure we're on the same page, do you see 1Password in your installed applications in the Start Menu, and can you run it from there? I'm guessing not, but you weren't explicit.

It sounds like you're having some trouble due to a .Net Framework issue. Please try installing that first:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/04/30/announcing-the-net-framework-4-7-2/

Then do any updates, restart Windows, and try installing 1Password again. Let me know how it goes!

• TStephens
    TStephens
    Community Member

Hi Brenty

I'm glad you had me check. I do, indeed, have a 1Password application installed. However, when I double-click it to open it I get a few seconds of the "processing" pointer and then it returns to the normal arrow shape.

I've installed the .net framework (above), updated Windows, and uninstalled and re-installed 1Password. Same baviour.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TStephens,

Please try to uninstall any versions of 1Password that you have now and install 1Password 7.2 from here. Let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

• TStephens
    TStephens
    Community Member

Hi Greg

This got me a bit closer. This time, the installer program actually showed and appeared to complete normally.

However, when I click on the installed 1Password app the same behaviour is shown. The windows pointer shows the busy shape for a couple of seconds and then returns to its normal pointer shape. Other than that, nothing happens

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TStephens,

While we investigate this issue, please install 1Password X and use it in your browser.

As for 1Password 7 for Windows, it is possible that it crashes in the background, when you try to launch it. Please try to reproduce the issue and save a log from Event Viewer on your computer:

Save a crash report for 1Password for Windows

Attach this crash log to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a . Please post your Support ID number after that, so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• TStephens
    TStephens
    Community Member

Hi

It turns out, my new notebook computer was the issue. Somehow something became corrupted to the point that a Windows Reset did not restore it to a sound state.

I've exchanged the computer for a new one and all is fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tom

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that was the case but glad that you were able to get it replaced, and that all is well now. Thanks for the update!

This discussion has been closed.