Windows Hello not working with external fingerprint scanner

captaink
captaink
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I recently purchased an external fingerprint scanner to use on my desktop, it works perfectly fine with Windows Hello to sign in to Windows but when I press the Windows Hello button in the 1Password App nothing happens (no pop-up).

I already tried disabling and re-enabling Windows Hello in 1Password and in the Windows settings but it didn't change anything.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @captaink,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! :+1:

If you add a PIN-code to your sign-in options, does the issue remain after that?

Please let me know. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• captaink
    captaink
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@Greg thanks for your swift reply, I do have a PIN set (I was actually forced to set one by Windows when I added my fingerprint)

• If Hello works to unlock Windows and 1Password is recognizing that Hello is available (which it is based upon the Hello icon being shown), there's not a lot we can do to help here, @captaink. At the moment, essentially all we do to authenticate you with Hello is ask Windows to do it for us. Windows shows you the Hello dialogue, you authenticate with your fingerprint, Windows tells 1Password you're all good and we unlock. Our only real role is to ask Windows to authenticate you and then acknowledge its findings.

It's worth checking if you have any Windows updates pending (install them if you do). You could also try pressing enter with your Master Password field empty to invoke Hello instead of clicking and see if that works. If neither helps, I'd disable Hello in 1Password and Windows Settings, reboot, re-enable Hello in both places and see if that helps. In most cases where I've seen Hello problems, disabling and re-enabling does work, but it can be a bit fussy about how you do that, so trying once more is worthwhile. If none of that helps, there's not much else we can really try. Our Hello implementation is fairly simple at present, so there's not a ton on our end that can really help. :frown: Hopefully, one of these steps is able to get it sorted. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.