What is the "Finder" password?

Options
digibud
digibud
Community Member

Just updated to Mojave and after opening 1 Password noticed a Finder password, which was the type generated by 1Password. It lists a website of app://com.apple.finder which isn't a web site. It was last modified June 2017. I think this was generated by 1Password as I don't have any recollection this and can't think of any time when the Finder requires a password other than my computer password which is not that string of characters. How did this get created and under what circumstance might I need to know the "Finder" password. Lastly, if this is important how can I change it to a more simple password?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OSX 10.14.4
Sync Type: unsure

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi @digibud! Welcome to the forum!

I don't see any Finder password in my 1Password, so I don't think it's something that 1Password would generate by itself without being requested to do it.

But rather than focusing on when it was created, I have a question for you: what was the last time you used this password?

• digibud
    digibud
    Community Member
    Options

To the best of my knowledge I have never used it and am not familiar with any "Finder" password. I spent quite a few years doing Mac tech support and know of no "Finder" password that makes sense in this context or how, why, for what reason this password even exists. I would simply delete it but hesitate to do so if it's somehow installed by 1Password for internal use or something. Very odd to me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@digibud I really don't think this item used internally by 1Password for anything. But even if you decide to move it to the Trash, this item will remain in there forever, until you manually empty the trash. So you would be able to recover it should you ever need it.

• digibud
    digibud
    Community Member
    Options

thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I have some recollection that this could occur when a password was generated via 1Password mini, when the finder was the frontmost app. But my memory here is dim.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@digibud, you are very welcome!
    If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us anytime, we will be happy to help you.

@MrC, thank you! That is possible, but I really wouldn't remember. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.