Dialog box saying "You are up to date. …" pops up periodically. Why?

Options
akseeker
akseeker
Community Member

App hourly pops up a dialog box that says "You are up to date. Thank you …" Only happens on my MacBook PRO, not on my iMac.

1Password Version: 73.4.118
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:continually pops up a dialog box and tells 1Password is up to date

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akseeker: Is this what you're seeing?

If so, then you or something on your system is launching the 1Password Updater. That's what it will show after a quick update check if you're on the latest version.

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's what I'm seeing, but why does it leave a dialog box I have to 'OK' to get rid of? I'm running the same app on my iMac with High Sierra, and it never shows that, just does it in the background. What could be launching the updater? I'm for sure not doing that…

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

and if i'm watching a youtube full screen, it knocks that out with this notification. irritating…

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

and when I get info on the 1Password 7 (656) in Activity Monitor, the Statistics tab shows Faults: 56762, and it increments stedily - now at 56764…

any troubleshooting files I can send?

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akseeker: Any time you see the icon on the left here, with the "down" arrow superimposed on the 1Password logo:

That's 1Password's updater. It's a separate app. If you have it pinned in the Dock, you'll see it there. If you have the macOS "recent apps" feature enabled, you'll see it on the right side of the Dock if there's been an update check recently.

When 1Password itself does an automatic update check, you will only see a popup window for a new update, not if nothing newer is available. So the fact that you're seeing the popup saying "You are up to date" and must dismiss it by clicking "OK" indicates that the updater itself is being run, and not by 1Password in the background. So either you're doing something to launch it, or something else on your system is. I couldn't tell you what that might be. Only you could possibly know.

What you're looking at in your screenshots is not the updater; that's a separate process. And if you look at any other app that's been running for a long time, you'll see something similar:

So let's not get off track. If you can figure out what's launching the updater, you can probably stop it. :)

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm, the Console reports:

default 21:20:22.810553 -0800 1PasswordSafariAppExtension call _completeRequestReturningItems:forExtensionContextWithUUID:
    default 21:20:22.992881 -0800 1PasswordSafariAppExtension calling out to _completeRequestReturningItemsSecondHalf
    default 21:20:22.992937 -0800 1PasswordSafariAppExtension in _NSExtensionCompleteRequestReturningItemsContinuation

Can you see anything that's calling this up?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akseeker: I'm not sure what you're asking. That's just 1Password talking to its Safari App Extension. What is the difficulty you're having? Let's start with that. :)

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

the very first post.

you'd said "… you or something on your system is launching the 1Password Updater. …"

It's for sure not me.

So, how can I determine what the 'something on my system' is that's triggering the updater?

• Ben
    Options

Let's start by seeing if the same behavior happens in a new user account. Please open System Preferences > Users & Groups and then click the + button to add a new user (you may need to unlock System Preferences at the bottom left before this button will become available). Create a new user account. Sign out of your current user account using the  > Log Out option in the menu bar and then sign in to this new user account that you've created. Do you see the same behavior there?

Ben

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

It only seems to happen after an update. If there's no update automatically installed, the problem doesn't occur.

It hasn't happened after I restarted today (so far),

Could the updater possibly be the cause? Can I find instances (in console?) of that app not quitting completely after it's auto update?

• Ben
    Options

@akseeker

I do admit it is a strange problem. I would think if there were a problem with the updater we'd have a large volume of customers reporting similar issues, but as far as I'm aware this is the only case like this. I have seen similar cases, which are a result of clicking on the 1Password Updater icon in the recently used apps portion of the Dock, but never a case where the updater is just popping up by itself in that state.

Can you think of any specific action you're taking just before the window pops up? A particular keyboard shortcut, perhaps?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akseeker: You say it's something that happens after an update, but the update was yesterday; yet you reported this originally last week, prior to the update. What am I missing?

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    Options

was yesterday the only update ever? when was the last one before yesterday?

• akseeker
    akseeker
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

@ Ben, mostly I use it for streaming audio and video, most of the times it pops up I'm not even touching the computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The last update was more than two weeks ago. That's why I'm confused about the timing.

This discussion has been closed.