Safari extension not working

Options
jSweeney
jSweeney
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

So, tried to start work this morning, but 1Password Safari browser extension is gone from Safari. Tried to download, but it won't download. From Apple's Extension store, it just says "waiting" and nothing downloads. Ok, I think, I'll just launch websites from the 1Password App itself. Nope. "Open and Fill" functionality won't work from the App. Not when I double click, not when I click "open and fill."

Did my credit card expire? Did I download some updates to break things? Did I do anything to visit this sudden malfunction of 1Password on myself? No, no and no. Nothing. I left work yesterday, started today, and between then and now, 1Password stopped working on its own.

I look forward to some help getting this working again. As someone who reluctantly gave up my paid software to jump on the 1Password Subscription model (that is, someone is paying more for what I had already purchased), it's pretty frustrating to have to spend my work time trying to solve 1password problems that I didn't create for myself.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Unknown - can't download
OS Version: 12.0.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jSweeney

I'm sorry we've caused some frustration here. I'd be happy to help get things working. The 1Password extension for Safari is included in 1Password 7.3. It doesn't require a separate download. The download you see is for legacy versions of 1Password/Safari. So please don't try to install that. It'll only make things worse. Please make sure both macOS and Safari are up to date, and then restart the Mac. Then check if the 1Password extension appears in Safari.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• danielph
    danielph
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, I'm having similar issues. If I need to create a separate thread for this, let me know.

I tried the same things @jSweeney did. It won't download from the App Store but you say that's OK. macOS is up to date (10.14.5), Safari is too (12.1.1) and 1Password is on 7.3. I have restarted my Mac, but the extension doesn't appear in Safari. Not in Preferences > Extensions, nor in my toolbar. When I use my shortcut for 1Password mini, it does have a big blue button saying 'Open Extensions Preferences in Safari', but when I click this, nothing happens.

• danielph
    danielph
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben I tried this and it solved my issue:

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option ⌥ key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Drag the 1Password Application bundle from /Applications/ to the Trash.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Download and install a fresh copy of 1Password.
    5. Launch 1Password and unlock.
    6. Launch Safari and enter Safari's preferences, switching to the Extensions tab.
    7. Confirm the 1Password extension is present, is displaying version 7.3 and that the extension is enabled (the checkbox in the lefthand sidebar).
    8. Test to see if the extension is working.
  • SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

When I drag 1Password 7.app from the Applications folder to Trash, a message pops up:
    The item "1Password 7.app" can't be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use.

When I open Safari > Preferences > Extensions and click Uninstall for 1Password, a message pops up:
    The "1Password" extension is part of the "1Password 7" Application.
    To uniinstall "1Password", you must remove the "1Password 7" application

What am I missing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SVanDee - that means you've (likely) got Safari running -- but it also means that the 1Password SAE extension is installed and (apparently) working in Safari, as well -- which makes me wonder why you'd need to go through all of this? However, I see you've created another thread that says the 1Password Safari extension is now working for you? If so, can you confirm the above is now redundant?

This discussion has been closed.