To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Converting from standalone app to membership - what a mess

Options
zder
zder
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Memberships

Folks,

I set up a membership today and the process of migrating my existing vaults (stored on Dropbox) resulted in a confusing mess. No primary vault uploaded, no items from trash imported, different item totals after import, no ability to "Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account", confusing documentation. I don't have time to fuss with this. After this, I am supposed to place my faith in your cloud?

1Password Version: 6/7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zder: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Do you have any questions? It isn't clear from your comments what part of the migration process you're having trouble with:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Let me know!

• zder
    zder
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

@brenty,

All of it. I listed the problems in my original post, but here they are in question format,

1. Why was my primary vault not uploaded during migration?
    2. Why were items from the trash of my 3 vaults not uploaded during migration?
    3. Why did vault item totals differ between original and migrated vaults?
    4. Why was the "Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account" option in the v7 app help greyed out and non-functional? The 1Password support article, "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" is confusing, and didn't provide a solution to this issue.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zder: Thanks for clarifying.

Why was my primary vault not uploaded during migration?

Not knowing what you did, I have no way of knowing what might have gone wrong. But to clarify, you would need to migrate the data from the Primary vault to the Personal/Private vault in the account. 1Password will not do anything with your data unless you tell it to. The Primary vault never gets "uploaded" anywhere; it is always stored locally on your device; the data would simply be moved/copied from it if and when you selected that option. If you'll let me know specifically which step(s) you had trouble with I may be able to provide some more insight after investigating:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Why were items from the trash of my 3 vaults not uploaded during migration?

Because you deleted them. Trash is never copied from one vault to another no matter what, whether migrating to an account or just doing a move/copy between local vaults.

Why did vault item totals differ between original and migrated vaults?

Impossible to say definitively, based on zero information. But I'd guess that you had some items with file attachments in the local vault which are now separate Document items in your account. Are you actually missing data, or looking solely at numbers? When representing different things, they're not expected to match.

Why was the "Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account" option in the v7 app help greyed out and non-functional? The 1Password support article, "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" is confusing, and didn't provide a solution to this issue.

Again, not a lot for me to go on. But it may be because you have multiple vaults, and/or have something selected which cannot be migrated that way.

It would really be helpful to know the specifics of what you did exactly.

• zder
    zder
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

@brenty,

Thank you for looking into this.

Sure, more specifics would help you troubleshoot this issue, but that will take time on my part, and I don’t have a lot to spare right now.
    I was hoping that the migration experience would be smooth because I have had a trouble-free experience with 1Password in the past. In short, I had trust in AgileBits to get this important step right - in the documentation and the implementation.
    You ask me what I did? I followed the steps outlined in the web page, “Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account” (https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/). I ended up with something that wasn’t right and I couldn’t fix it, because I was unable to select any original vault to manually migrate.

If I have some time tomorrow, I will look into this further, but right now I am just disappointed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@zder:

Sure, more specifics would help you troubleshoot this issue, but that will take time on my part, and I don’t have a lot to spare right now.

Understood. If you can give us additional information about this when you have the time, it would be extremely helpful for us. Thank you!

• zder
    zder
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana, @brenty,

OK, I have migrated to 1Password v7 and a family membership. Here are my current thoughts on the process,

1. After the migration process was complete (over 2 days) and establishing the membership account and new software on all devices, I see that membership is a nifty and evolved idea and the software upgrade is also nice. This makes me happy.
    2. The migration process could be smoother. The "Add This Account to 1Password" step and the step where the installer attempts to quit 1Password mini and the 1Password application didn't work properly. I had to uninstall the version 7 software and reinstall it, manually quit the apps during the second installation, and then my vaults and passwords came over.
    3. The 1Password installer and documentation could do a better job of communicating what is happening during the installation. For example, the "Add This Account to 1Password" step and the two steps immediately after it were not clearly described in the “Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account” page.
    4. It would be good to know prior to a migration, that passwords in the prior version trash would not be migrated. There is a difference between placing something in the trash (and keeping it in there just in case) and emptying the trash (definitely don't need those items).
    5. With consumer concerns about security and the cloud, it is really important to convey competence in a move to the cloud, especially with password and financial data. We don't want data-loss and we don't typically have a lot of time to trouble-shoot data-loss during a migration to the cloud. Better communication prior to and during the 1Password migration would have helped.

Thank you for listening and for making great software.

• Ben
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @zder. We appreciate the input and will brainstorm further on these ideas as we work to improve the migration process. That said I would encourage you to consider trash to be more transient. It isn't intended to have items you might want to delete there, only ones you definitely want to delete.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.