Where are documents stored?

K_nc
K_nc
Community Member

I have a 1P account. Are documents stored only on each device that 1P is on? That is..they are not in the cloud, and not on a 1P server?
I am just concerned about how much memory space they consume (especially on a smart phone).
Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @K_nc,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password for Windows does not download all of your Documents on disk by default, you can choose to download specific Documents you want when you need it. We do plan to offer an option to download all Documents in case you want to save them quickly to a backup drive or something like that.

All of your 1Password data is stored encrypted in your 1Password account on 1Password.com; we've designed this to minimize the space on your devices and to minimize the time it takes you to get to your data.

• K_nc
    K_nc
    Community Member

Thanks. So, that is unlike the passwords, which I guess are stored locally as well as in the account?

• Correct, @K_nc. Other data (not just passwords, but all item types save Documents) are stored in a local encrypted database as well as remotely on the 1Password servers. This is done for exactly the reason you allude to in your post. If you have limited device storage (as is common with mobile devices), Documents could quickly eat up a good chunk of that. Other items are small and many are likely to be needed offline, so it makes sense to have those locally, but Documents are a bit much and we felt the better choice was to allow you to decide which Documents warrant taking up that storage space and which don't. :+1:

• K_nc
    K_nc
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the explanation. I have been wanting to tell everyone there how impressed I am by 1Password, and by the teams that develop & support it. I even enjoy reading the release notes :-)
    I used to work for a very large privately-held software company, so I think I can be a fair judge.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate and MikeT, you are welcome @K_nc! And thank you for the kind words :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.