I am trying to import a vault shared via Dropbox into a second vault in 1P7.

Options
rlmalisz
rlmalisz
Community Member

The vault is in agilekeyvault format. I am not trying to merge this into the personal vault that gets synced via your servers. If I go down the "File->Import" method, I get the vault selected, and get prompted:

1Password Keychain Password Required
Please enter your Keychain Password to finish importing your information

What is expected here? I've tried the Mac keychain password (my login password). I've tried the 1P7 master password. Nothing gets me past this dialog.

So what is the "1Password Keychain Password", and how would I ever have known?

--Richard

PS: I am not the owner of the vault on Dropbox, but I can't imagine I need her keychain password.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15 beta
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:import shared vault

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @rlmalisz,

It is indeed the password for the other vault that you require. Whether it is an OPVault or an Agile Keychain container, the vault it represents is in an encrypted state, encrypted with the specific password for that vault. The only way for 1Password to read the contents and perform any action on them is to successfully decrypt the contents.

If you're trying to create a standalone vault that lives alongside a 1Password account though I don't believe you will want to use the import method as that will only allow you to copy the decrypted contents into an existing vault. As it stands I'm afraid it will be a bit messy. You would first need to create a primary vault in 1Password and if memory serves me correct you will find a checkbox in 1Password's preferences, specifically the Advanced tab and the option is titled Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. You will need to supply a Master Password for this Primary vault and this Master Password will become the one that unlocks this copy of 1Password going forward. Should you change your Master Password for your existing 1Password account this copy of 1Password would still require the primary vault's Master Password. You would then double click on the Agile Keychain from a Finder window and the default action would be to create a secondary vault that is synchronised with this other vault.

It may be if we can better understand what the primary goal is we can offer some different recommendations as how best to proceed.

• rlmalisz
    rlmalisz
    Community Member
    Options

I am indeed trying to figure out how I can incorporate this shared vault into 1P7 and have it stay synchronized with the other user, who is on 1P6 and really not interested in going to subscription. If I go the above route, do I lose the native synchronization for my personal vault in IP7 across my Macs and iOS devices? If so, I am starting really to regret even trrying out 1P7, and would like to revert to 1P6, if possible, as I don't see any upside in these changes for me.

--Richard

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlmalisz,

Your 1Password account would continue to synchronise seamlessly as it does now, the addition of standalone vaults would not change that, it's just that any copy of 1Password where you would also want to attach the standalone vault shifts away from the very easy state when its just a 1Password account to consider.

It does sound like my previous post would apply here then. If you need to share this vault with somebody who wishes to remain on 1Password 6 with a standalone vault you will want to first create a primary vault using that option in the preferences. You can set this Master Password to the same one you use for the 1Password account, you just have to be aware that even if it is the same it is still different from the one for the 1Password account and would require changing both should you ever wish to change one and keep them identical. I would also recommend keeping the Primary vault empty and remove it from the All Vaults view. Its really just there so you can add a secondary vault which will be the Agile Keychain this other person is sharing.

Is this other person a family member and would a 1Password Families account possibly be better? It would allow for a single subscription and would allow you to easily create shared vaults as well as keep your Personal one private. Whatever you decide we will do our best to assist.

• rlmalisz
    rlmalisz
    Community Member
    Options

And for clarity, this shared vault would be visible on my iOS devices as well, just like with 1P6? Would it require extra password poop when the app opens via Face ID or Touch ID on them, or just open?

--Richard

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlmalisz,

In the standalone secondary vault scenario you would need to add the vault separately to each device you needed it present. That's one of the limitations of standalone vaults we wanted to address when we designed the 1Password accounts, as soon as you create a shared vault in an account it will appear on every device. The reason is the 1Password accounts are a server-client setup where the server passes all the details onto the client as needed. With the standalone vaults each copy of 1Password is completely independent from the others and so each has to set up in turn by the user.

I can state with confidence that the presence of a standalone vault in 1Password for iOS would not impact the use of quick unlock whether its PIN, Touch or Face ID, that would continue to work as it has for you.

I will need to double check how things are on iOS if you decided the standalone secondary vault is the way you want to go, just to make sure I don't create any confusion from a misunderstanding. Probably best to focus on one copy of 1Password at a time though, get things set up on the Mac first and then turn our attention to the iOS device.

• rlmalisz
    rlmalisz
    Community Member
    Options

So this is all causing a lot of churn for me for very little benefit that I can see. I'm still in the trial month for 1P7. I think I'd like to go back for now. Where can I download 1P6, since the "trial" removed it from my Mac? I assume I'd just export my personal vault and reload into 1P6?

--Richard

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rlmalisz

So this is all causing a lot of churn for me for very little benefit that I can see.

I'm sorry this has gotten a bit messy. To clarify the situation: we do not support sharing vaults via any method other than 1Password membership. If you'd like to share 1Password data with someone else we do have a solution for that: 1Password Families, 1Password Teams, or 1Password Business. Which would be suitable is dependent on the type of relationship you have with the person or people you want to share with.

I think I'd like to go back for now. Where can I download 1P6, since the "trial" removed it from my Mac?

We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, the upcoming Safari 13 will be using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Please let us know how you'd like to proceed.

Ben

• rlmalisz
    rlmalisz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the Catalina Beta to gain access to the later AMD GPUs for video editing. An update a week or so back was a whopper, and shoved me onto Safari 13, and that was the thing that got me curious about 1P7, since the old browser extensions no longer worked.

That said, I think the steps to copy, paste stuff into browser windows I can live with. Losing what was a perfectly usable, low-touch vault-sharing paradigm isn't. So I have reverted. I'm sure at some point we'll have to upgrade, but that will more likely happen when my SO winds up on the real Catalina...and she's in no hurry, having seen so many things break for me.

Last question: is it safe then to go ahead and delete my account at my.1password.com? The desktop 1P6 ingores it, but the iOS devices keep finding it, which again, throws my stuff all out of sync.

--Richard

• rlmalisz
    rlmalisz
    Community Member
    Options

It's actually worse than I thought. On my iPad Mini, if I log out of 1password.com, it says it will restart the app, and when it comes back up, I have nothing. Will deleting my 1password.com account allow the iOS app to "find" the old 1P6 vault?

FWIW, this has turned out to be an awful experience. "Free trial" shouldn't mean "with no going back".

--Richard

• rlmalisz
    rlmalisz
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind...I have gotten everything back to where I was, and have only wasted a day or so at it.

--Richard

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update! I am happy to hear that things are working as expected again.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.