Pricing of Stand Alone Version

2»

Comments

• I am a versions 3-6 user, purchasing before the 2018 cutoff. I understand the complexities of development and the need to get full price for version 7. I want to clear up one point of confusion before purchasing the v.7 license (not membership). Will I be able to use the Safari extension? Somewhere in the documented differences it says, "does not include web access."
    Thanks!

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member

Hello @steig

"Web access" in this case means heading over to https://start.1password.com/signin and signing in there. The core features of 1Password, that being saving and filling your passwords, are available regardless of which route you choose for the upgrade. So, yes, you will be able to use the Safari extension along with the regular extensions (as in, not 1Password X) for our other supported browsers.

• Great! Thanks. I was pretty sure there would still be web password utilities as it is the main reason I rely on the app. Which is also why I confirmed. Thanks again.

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member

Happy to help @steig. :)

• Is the sale still on for the stand alone license?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Yes, as of writing, it is still available.

Ben

• Hi, if I buy the standalone licence for 1Password for Mac, will the license be valid also for 1Password for iOS/ iPhone? Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@charles1password

Licenses don't apply to mobile platforms anymore (e.g. there is nowhere to apply or buy a license for 1Password for iOS), but as long as you have licensed 1Password 7 for Mac you can sync that data to 1Password 7 for iOS, yes.

Ben

• Thanks Ben for your quick reply. So if I first download 1Passord 7 for Mac, pay for the standalone licence and sync data through iCloud or Dropbox (all on my Mac), i can later download 1Password for iOS, sync data from iCloud or Dropbox and access the full-featured 1Password on iOS?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Yes, if you purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license you'll be able to sync your data to Dropbox or iCloud which can then be synced with 1Password 7 for iOS at no additional cost as well.

Ben

• ayazdaniayazdani Junior Member

Hi. I currently have a license for the standalone version of 1Password 6 and am looking to upgrade to the standalone version of 1Password 7 (I am not interested in the subscription version). Is the standalone license still on sale for $49? Also I am in Canada, so I am wondering if the price is in US$ or CAD$. Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@ayazdani

Where possible licenses are sold in your local currency (CAD included). Any pricing mentioned on this forum is generally the USD price. That said, we no longer recommend that path. Membership is the way forward. I would strongly recommend that you reconsider. If you choose to purchase a license - yes, they are still discounted, as of writing this message, but that could end at any moment. The discount was intended to be a launch promotion for 1Password 7, but it has continued nearly a year and a half after its release. I'm guessing we may have simply forgot to flip the switch. As soon as someone from management notices, I suspect that'll change.

About 1Password membership

Have you tried membership? There is a 30-day free trial available. I'd suggest giving it a try. :)

Ben

• No offence to the AgileBits team; I certainly understand that monthly memberships provide a stability and a business incentive that's healthy compared to always chasing the revenue of the next major version.

And, now that the push is towards syncing user passwords to AgileBits' servers, there are reasonable additional costs in terms of server hardening, maintenance, usage fees, and so-on.

But if we run the numbers, I feel like it's understandable to also prioritize those user types that have been the core customers and cheerleaders.

For example:
    I purchased 1Password 6 on Dec 19, 2013. I can't find the price, but let's assume it was $70.
    I may have also purchased the iOS apps for whatever (let's say $10 just to pad the numbers a bit)

I'm looking at 1Password 7 now due to the Safari extension not being updated (which is fair: Safari changed, not you)

But the math...

Dec 19th, 2013 to now is 79 months.
    My cost for 79 months: $80CAD
    My cost for 79 months if I was on the license: $296.25CAD

Besides arguments about it being "worth it", that's a big chunk of change.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@JoshFindit

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. $80 for 79 months of 1Password is undisputedly a fantastic deal. Part of the reason that was possible is because that December 2013 license ended up granting access to not one, but three, major versions of 1Password for Mac. That was never part of the agreement, and wasn't the original intention, but we were in a position where we were able to be generous and opted to do so.

Our costs were relatively low, our staff was small, and 1Password was selling what was then seen as a large volume of licenses based on word of mouth alone. But that didn't end up scaling well. We hit a point where costs were increasing, word of mouth wasn't quite cutting it, we desperately needed more staff to keep up with the demand, and so on. It is no longer feasible for us to sell a license to someone and then not sell them anything else for 79 months (providing technical and customer support if requested through that whole period, as well as significant updates and upgrades to the software). If you instead consider the costs that would've been associated with purchasing a license for each of those major upgrades, and factor in inflation, you're talking about numbers much closer to what you're projecting for membership. That wouldn't have included the 1Password membership service, which is more than just the client apps, and also has value.

I think it is totally fair to say that indeed such core customers and cheerleaders have been prioritized, and have gotten a stellar deal — two free significant upgrades that according to the license terms as well as industry standards should've been paid upgrades. Some might argue that we "shot ourselves in the foot" by doing so, as it seems we've set the wrong expectation. At the time it felt like the right thing to do, and so we did.

That isn't to say that there isn't any room for generosity or special treatment going forward, but the days of multiple free upgrades on a single license purchase unfortunately have to come to an end in order for us to be a sustainable company. We're always happy to discuss individual situations and how we can help via email: [email protected]. We frequently have sales, discounts, or promotions available and the team is happy to help point you in the direction of any you may be eligible for. That said, we want 1Password to be in a position to be a sustainable company for many years to come. We want to continue to deliver the high quality software and support folks have come to expect from us, and in order to do that we have to charge sustainable prices.

Ben

• The free upgrade from 4 to 5 to 6 is a counter argument that I can agree with. That does shift the math to $70+$70+70+$10 or $220CAD (throw another $10-20 in there for inflation), assuming I would have continued to stay current.

Still a difference, but not as shocking.
    It's possible I could have stayed with some specific version or waited for promos to save costs as well, but.

As mentioned above, I do certainly understand the need to make the business sustainable, and do see subscription is a valid way to do that, I just keep struggling with the cost-benefit analysis, especially as I look at the costs of being a customer for another 10 years (earliest record I have is an upgrade in 2010)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I understand. I would definitely encourage you to reach out to our billing team at [email protected] to express your concerns, explain your situation, and see what they can do for you. One of those things where it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Ben

• I am read-only and need a license key to unblock. How do I get it?

I’m using 1Password 7.6 in read-only mode on my mac from the 1Password store. I also tried the Apple store version - the same thing: read-only. I’m using 1Password (and intend using it in the future) in Chrome only.

I have purchased a lifetime license from the Mac App Store (v4.0.8 (4+)). I have the receipt and order number handy but no license key.

1. How would I upgrade to 1Password 7? Do I need to buy (or subscribe) without any reduction?
    2. What are the steps if I want to stay with 1Password 4?

Thank you, Alexis :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @relaxis

We'd be happy to help you get up to speed here. It sounds like you've been using 1Password for a long time. Thanks for sticking with us. :+1:

I’m using 1Password 7.6 in read-only mode on my mac from the 1Password store. I also tried the Apple store version - the same thing: read-only.

1Password 7 is separate from any previous purchases. Membership is the way forward with 1Password.

What are the steps if I want to stay with 1Password 4?

Unless your computer is quite old, that isn't likely to be a very practical option at this point. 1Password 4 was last updated in 2014. I would be surprised if it worked at all on a modern computer, and it is very unlikely the browser extensions will work with it.

As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend, and support would be limited.

How would I upgrade to 1Password 7? Do I need to buy (or subscribe) without any reduction?

As I alluded to above, membership is the way to go. You can read more about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

Some of the highlights are: the latest versions of the 1Password apps for any of your compatible devices are included, sync is automatic and baked in, automatic offsite encrypted backups are included, and you can (optionally) share select 1Password data with your family members if you opt for 1Password Families. When you're ready to upgrade instructions on migrating your existing data can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

We're unable to discuss individual pricing situations here in the forum, but I would encourage you to reach out to our billing team at [email protected] to discuss any considerations. They should be able to help you out. If you still have that original receipt from the App Store please include it with your email, but they can help either way. :+1:

I’m using 1Password (and intend using it in the future) in Chrome only.

After you've migrated your data to a membership, if you don't really use the 1Password for Mac app, you may want to consider switching to our 1Password X extension. 1Password X is included with membership. This would provide a lighter weight browser-only experience that you may find easier to work with / more convenient. You can read more about 1Password X here:

Get to know 1Password X

Alternatively you can of course continue to use 1Password 7 for Mac and the traditional ("companion") browser extension. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• @Ben
    Thank you for the fast and specific answer. From a biz model perspective, I understand the AgileBits approach. However, a membership combined with a subscription is not an option for me. Our paths will now part after 9 years. I liked 1Password and the UX. All the best, Alexis

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I'm sorry to hear that @relaxis. If you change your mind or would like to discuss further you know how to reach us. :) I hope you're able to find a solution you're comfortable with and confident in, even if ultimately that ends up not being 1Password.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file