To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

cannot use 1password in browser

silkenpaw
silkenpaw
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Memberships

I have the 1Password extension for Firefox installed on the PC but it's locked because it wants me to sign in to my account and my master PW is not working. I have tried just about everything I could think of, including all the suggestions in the locked document at the top of your question list, to no avail.

I have a family account, but have never figured out how to configure it, so I'd be perfectly happy just to get out of this with my data. I have 1P installed on the PC, the Mac (just back from Apple with a wiped HD, so don't know how 1PW is going to work here), my iphone and ipad. What do I need to do to save my data?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.15.7
OS Version: Win10 Pro
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@silkenpaw: You'd only be able to get into the account with the Master Password you set for that account. But if you don't know the password but you have your data accessible in the app on one of your devices, it's no problem to setup a new account and copy your data there. Where do you have your 1Password data currently? That's the most important thing, so let's work from there. :)

• silkenpaw
    silkenpaw
    Community Member

Actually, I just figured out that what the program wanted was the password for the individual account, which I have in my head (and my brother's) and that worked, so I'm off the hook for the moment. Now, where do I read about how to set up a family account? In a family account, would my husband's instance of 1PW be different from mine? He wreaks havoc on all things electronic and I fear the worst if I were to grant him access to my passwords. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@silkenpaw:

Now, where do I read about how to set up a family account?

I recommend starting from this collection of tutorials. Towards the bottom of the page you also have instructions on how to convert an existing Individual account.

In a family account, would my husband's instance of 1PW be different from mine?

Yes, he would have his own Master Password and Secret Key, different from yours.

He wreaks havoc on all things electronic and I fear the worst if I were to grant him access to my passwords.

Inviting your husband to a Families account does not mean giving him access to your passwords. While you would be both part of the same Families account, each of you will have your own Private vault, which only you will be able to access.

• silkenpaw
    silkenpaw
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

@ag_ana
    Thank you. I'll look at the tutorials.

• Excellent. :) Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.