To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Pressing Alt on web interface reveals passwords

daniel_mi
daniel_mi
Community Member

On the web interface, after opening a vault or clicking on an item, the Alt key reveals the password. (it happens when I press Alt+Tab to change window). It happens with English keyboard, no other keys (like Ctrl, etc...) are pressed at the same time. It behaves differently in Firefox and Chrome.

Chrome:
It happens only once, so if I press Alt again, then it does not reveal the password for the second time. (the item should be clicked again to reveal again with Alt). The password is only shown while the Alt key is down.

Firefox:
After pressing and releasing the Alt key the password remains revealed. To hide the password, the Alt key should be pressed again. (or if the focus is lost after pressing the Tab, the password is hidden again). This one is worse than Chrome since the password will be shown on the screen if for any reason no other keys are pressed after releasing Alt.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @daniel_mi

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is intentional that pressing alt reveals any concealed fields. We are evaluating the possibility of changing to a different shortcut to avoid conflicting with alt+tab, etc.

Ben

ref: b5/b5#3041

• oskarb
    oskarb
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Our users like to take screen dump using Alt+PrtSc. Because of 1password behaviour of revealing the password when pressing Alt the password often accidentally ends up being included in the screen shot and people do not always notice this before sending or storing the screen short somewhere.

I think this design is a fairly major misdesign tbh. Shortcuts are good in general but a different one is needed for this and perhaps there shouldn't even be a shortcut for revealing the password? Or first time using it ask the user if they really do want to reveal, with the option to "don't ask again". Regardless of such extra things, a shortcut that is unlikely to be triggered accidentally should be used.

Alt-button alone also controls if menus are visible or not, so everything jumps around a bit.

• Thanks for the feedback on this, @oskarb. :+1:

Ben

• bkucera96
    bkucera96
    Community Member

Please remove the alt key revealing passwords! I use alt-tab to switch windows, and when I screenshare people can see my passwords if they pause the video right when I'm tabbing away from 1password

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts too :+1:

This discussion has been closed.