Local backup with main vault and secondary vault. Only know password of secondary vault.

giom
giom
Community Member

Hi,

I have a backup of my 1password. In that backup there is both a primary vault and a secondary vault. I forgot the master password (of the primary vault) but I know the password of the secondary vault.

I only need data from the secondary vault. How do I access it? When I try restoring the backup it asks me for the master password which I do not know before doing anything.

Would there also be a way to open the secondary vault from the backup without restoring the backup (as it's a hassle)

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:forgot main vault password know password for secondary vault

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @giom! Welcome to the forum!

If you search for your .opvault files on your computer, do you see two separate results, one for the Primary and one for the Secondary vault?

• giom
    giom
    Community Member

I only have the backup it was from a different computer that has died

• giom
    giom
    Community Member

So the backup file, ends in 1p4_zip. If I unzip it, it only has blob2 files. I've tried restoring the backup, but I can't then unlock 1password and there doesn't seem to be a way to access the secondary vault. I also cannot find opvault files, I only see blob2 filer in Library/Group Containers/

Since I can't unlock 1password when I restore the backup, it's pretty much useless (as said I only know the password of the secondary vault). I'll also email support since this is rather urgent for me

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

Hi @giom

If you put that .1p4_zip file in this location:
    ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups
    You should be able to use the File > Restore option from the 1Password menu bar to restore your entire 1Password setup to whatever state it was in when the backup was made. This includes whatever Master Password you were using at the time as well as all standalone vaults. You would need to remember the Master Password you used to unlock 1Password at the time that the backup was made in order to do this, though.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• giom
    giom
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I already know how to restore a backup.
    As said, I had two vaults in that backup. I know the password of the second vault. I do not know the master password (the password of the first vault). I only want to access the second vault.

When I use 1password it seems that I need to enter the master password before I can choose to open the second vault. Why is that? I only want to open the second vault, why isn't that possible through the interface?

Stupidly maybe, I would have expected to be able to choose which vault I want to open and not be forced to open the primary vault if I want to open the secondary vault. But that doesn't seem to be the case?

• I only want to access the second vault.

That isn't possible from such a backup. The backup is of the entire setup, and there isn't a way to restore just one particular vault. You'd have to restore the whole setup.

Stupidly maybe, I would have expected to be able to choose which vault I want to open and not be forced to open the primary vault if I want to open the secondary vault. But that doesn't seem to be the case?

Correct; 1Password is not designed to work that way. The Master Password of the Primary vault will always be required when unlocking 1Password or performing a restore. I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for. :(

Ben

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

As said, I had two vaults in that backup. I know the password of the second vault. I do not know the master password (the password of the first vault). I only want to access the second vault.
    When I use 1password it seems that I need to enter the master password before I can choose to open the second vault. Why is that?

And

Correct; 1Password is not designed to work that way. The Master Password of the Primary vault will always be required when unlocking 1Password

1Password used to support that until version 5. It allows to select the vaults before unlocking them, which means you can unlock any vault with no need to touch the primary one. It was quite handy, especially when using 1Password in a crowded office, and I still use it for that exact reason.

You can try to see if it works for you by downloading it from here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4#v553001 -- I'm just not sure if it will ask for a license straight away.

If you manage to use the old 1P5 to restore your backup, from the home screen you can select the other vaults by pressing cmd+number, where 1 is the primary vault, 2 is the second one, etc.

• I would be very surprised if that worked for this case.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.