My nightmare experience with 1Password 7

Options
1pw_nightmare
1pw_nightmare
Community Member

I have been a 1Password user as long as I can remember. When they implemented the subscription system, I resisted, until today. However, with Safari 13 mojave upgrade, 1password does not provide an extension and I was forced to upgrade to 7. Fine. But that broke all hell loose.

I had two vaults in my 1password 6. 1password 7 copied only one, but the other one is extremely important. I could not find the vault in my iCloud drive. After googling, 1password was supposed to automatically backup my vaults. I located the backup folder, and voila the last backup was in 2018. Jesus. The only "new" backup is from 1password 7 that I just installed this morning. Mac Timemachine of course doesn't help.

After all so troubleshoot, I remember I exported the second vault in 1pif. Thanks god. I try importing the file using 1Password 7. There are 91 passwords, and it gets stuck at #8. What??? I open ActivityMinor, and the CPU usage of 1Password is over 100%. Crap. I tried several times in van.

I log in to the web-based 1Password now that I am a paid subscriber, hoping that the web version will take care of the CPU usage and hopefully import the 1pif file correctly. Surprise surprise. The web version only imports a .csv file. Crap x2.

I google further, and there are some folks have written a code to convert 1pif to csv on Github. I will try that. But before that, I wanted to contact the customer service. Of course they don't have phone numbers because they don't want to talk to you, but they are not the only one so I will forgive that. (But they also don't have live chat support either. Who are all those people with smiley face under the "Our team is here to help..."? I don't think so.

So here is my request: Can I please downgrade to 1Password 6 (which 1Password 7 deleted), and recover my two vaults? Let me please find another SW. You can keep the money. I am happy to pay as long as I can recover my passwords, and I will just move on to something else, no hard feelings.

Frustrated 1Password user.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @1pw_nightmare! I'm sorry for all the frustration you've obviously been experiencing. Let's see what we can do.

But before that, I wanted to contact the customer service. Of course they don't have phone numbers because they don't want to talk to you...

I wish you had gotten in touch with us before embarking on all this frustrating experience as well. You're correct that telephone and "live chat" screen-sharing isn't available for 1Password technical support, but it isn't because we "don't want to talk to you," it's that we've found over time that neither method allows for easy transmission of relevant diagnostics nor provides a record of what the problem was, what solutions were tried, etc, in a way that can be accessed in the future if necessary. We maintain these forums and of course our email support so we can talk to you, and both of us have a record of the conversation to refer back to.

If you had previously been using iCloud sync, that would have only applied to your Primary vault -- iCloud sync has only ever worked for the Primary vault; any user-created secondary vaults need to be synced via a different method such as Dropbox. However, when 1Password 7 for Mac is installed onto a Mac where 1Password 6 for Mac is already installed, part of the first-run is importing the version 6 data -- and it doesn't use iCloud or any other sync method, it directly accesses the internal database, which copies all vaults. I'm not sure what happened in your case, but I'm fairly confident we can recover all of your data, even if it means re-importing. However, to do that, we'll need diagnostics from your Mac, and that shouldn't happen in this public forum. Fortunately, I see you've asked this exact question of our email support team as well, so let's continue the conversation that way; via email. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi @1pw_nightmare - I closed your earlier thread because I've responded to your email, as I mentioned. I've merged both together here for convenience because they pertain to the same issue.

I'm glad you were able to reinstall 1Password 6 for Mac and locate both your vaults, though I would not suggest CSV as the best method to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. Please respond to my email reply if you'd like assistance.

This discussion has been closed.