Can sign in on mobile app and web, but not desktop app despite entering master pass the same.

Options
mcc480
mcc480
Community Member

On the desktop app, there is only a spot to enter my master password, not to even show my username to ensure it's using the correct one and not an old deleted one. (I removed the desktop app and reinstalled from the link on the web while signed in to my current 1password account.) I'm typing the master password in exactly as I did (successfully) on both the mobile app and the web, but the desktop app won't recognize it.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can sign in on mobile app and web, but not desktop app despite entering master pass exactly the same

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @mcc480! I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you mean 1Password for Mac's lock screen, then that's correct: there is not and never has been a "username" to unlock your 1Password data. There is if you have a 1Password account and you visit it in a browser (then you'll need not just your Master Password but also the email address you used to sign up as well as your Secret Key), but in 1Password apps, you enter that once, and then 1Password keeps track of it for you, requiring only your Master Password on subsequent unlocks.

If you're entering your Master Password into the lock screen and it's being rejected, that means you're not using the correct Master Password. If you've created a 1Password account, did you use the same Master Password for it that you previously were using for your standalone 1Password data? If not, try your old Master Password and see if that unlocks things. Let me know what you discover.

• mcc480
    mcc480
    Community Member
    Options

I created an account online, and set up a master password. Logging out and back in again online, that master password works. I then downloaded both the mobile and desktop apps. That same master password works in the mobile app, but not in the desktop app. I am typing the EXACT same password on both. On the desktop app, there was never once any point to enter my username, not the first time, nor at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and I only ever see the screen that asks for the master password, nothing else. I mention the username bit because it is the only reason I can think of that my password wouldn't be accepted only in the desktop app, but there is never any chance to confirm they are asking for the password to the right account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcc480 - when you installed the 1Password for Mac app, on first run, were you prompted to locate your data (Dropbox, iCloud, 1Password account)? Or did you just get the 1Password lock screen where you enter your Master Password?

• mcc480
    mcc480
    Community Member
    Options

No, I never got any prompt to locate data, only the lock screen.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcc480 - that means you had previously installed/used local (standalone) 1Password data. If you see the lock screen, that means it's protecting data. If you haven't signed into your account in 1Password for Mac, then that data would be older, standalone data. Do you remember what your Master Password was previously? If so, try that, to see if it unlocks. If you don't know or can't remember your previous Master Password, you can click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data, which will delete any old data and quit 1Password. When it restarts, you'll be able to choose to sign into your newly-created 1Password account.

• mcc480
    mcc480
    Community Member
    Options

This worked - thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcc480 - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.