Is there a keyboard shortcut or way to jump to an alphabetical location of logins within a vault?

Options
dlandwirth
dlandwirth
Community Member
edited October 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In my vault of logins, I have them sorted by title. I have several hundred entries or logins and it is a pain to scroll down to the Ms or Ss, etc. Is there a keyboard shortcut or way to jump to a specific letter group?

If not, how about asking the developers to add "#, A, B, C, D .... X, Y, Z" links along the right edge of the gray sidebar that would scroll the items up or down to the start of that letter group?

1Password Version: 7.37712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:jump to a letter in vault

Comments

• Your best bet right now would probably be search, @dlandwirth. In both the main app and mini, the search bar should be focused when you open 1Password, so you can just start typing and 1Password will filter your item list down as you type. Now, with that said, this is only useful if you already know the precise Login you want, or at least have a good idea what the title starts with beyond the first letter so I will still absolutely pass your feedback along to the team. :+1:

• dlandwirth
    dlandwirth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. I have been doing that. But sometimes just visually scrolling is much faster and simpler. Most directory listings on a phone, contact manager, artists, albums, etc provide #, A, B, C... links. Just sayin'

• On mobile devices, that's certainly true, @dlandwirth, but I've honestly not seen near so much of it on desktop. Even Windows' own People app skips that, which I personally find a bit odd for a contacts manager. That's absolutely not to say I disagree that it would be a useful feature – it certainly would be – just an observation that we're not alone in having a search focus by any means. We'll absolutely take this under consideration for a future update, though, and definitely appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. :+1:

• dlandwirth
    dlandwirth
    Community Member
    Options

Bundtkate,

Understood. I've been thinking about this more. Perhaps it could be a feature turned on or off in settings? Additionally it would be nice if rather than a separate grouping for 1, 2, 3 ... 10 just to have a single "#" grouping. One usually has only a handful of logins or notes that start with a number so having individual number groups takes up a lot of visual space in the column. Again, a setting could be made for individual numbers or group under #. Next, it would be nice to all allow for a condensed list without logos and the second line showing the user ID name. In other words, a list of login names or note names only. A setting for this would be fine - "list with logo & login" or "condensed list". Finally, a font setting for large or small font would allow one to make the column as dense or open as they like.

Here's the thing, the human eye and brain does an amazing job of scanning and searching in real-time. While I understand that having the logos is pretty and modern looking, our minds know we are looking for a specific name - that we have personally designated for the login or note - and it is very simple to click a grouping letter like A, M, S and scan vs. typing out a search. In the case of notes, since the note logo is the same for every single note, its really not adding any value. Allowing users to choose search only or search and scan (with or without lettered hyperlinks) would be a welcome feature. Allowing a condensed list would make searching even easier and would reduce scrolling since so much more info could be shown in a column.

I have almost 600 login entries. Its very cumbersome to scroll.

Thank you for considering this.

• dlandwirth
    dlandwirth
    Community Member
    Options

Bundtkate,

One more thought before I step down from my soap box. When one uses search, they always have to swipe/select and type in a new search or click the X to clear the search box. That's extra work before and after every search. With lettered links and condensed scrolling, one never has to do these extra steps before accessing their data. Again, I'm not advocating all or nothing. Allowing the option in settings is all I ask. Thank you.

• I think we all have lists like this, @dlandwirth. For me, it's always keyboard shortcuts. I'm a firm believer that if I have to touch my mouse, you're doing it wrong, so our poor dev team frequently gets gripes from me when I find something I can't do with the keyboard. Funny enough, I always get in a bit of a huff over ensure we have icons for all things because I find the images easier to scan for me. I also am absolute rubbish at naming things consistently so I have a mess of Google accounts some named Purpose - Google and others named Google - Purpose once I realized grouping them together was wise. I can't remember which accounts are named how, but I do know all of these contain the word "Google" somehow so that's just one more reason I tend to favor search. Obviously, we're all going to have different opinions about this and that's okay. The two of us are quite obvious examples of how our organizational habits shape our preferences, but it's also one reason these things are a challenge.

Another challenging thing is avoiding settings bloat. Endless customizable settings are amazing for power users, and I'd wager most in this forum would likely welcome them, but they're overwhelming for others. I find the best analogy is the deodorant aisle in the grocery store. I know, I know, bear with me here. To someone who cares deeply about the scent, composition, ingredients, brand, etc. of their deodorant, that aisle is probably heaven. For someone like me that just wants something that gets the job done at an affordable price, it's a totally excessive and overwhelming mess I find creates far more fuss than something silly like deodorant has any right to. The same goes for settings. We absolutely shouldn't ignore the needs of power users, but it's important to be judicious about what we do and don't add to the settings pane. We want it somewhere between today's deodorant aisle and the limited supply at your local convenience store.

In your case, I'd see us optimizing the item list for different types of interfaces sooner than adding too many options concerning how it's displayed. Search isn't as friendly using a touch interface, for example, so I'd see it as a wise choice to add # A B C links when you don't have a hardware keyboard available. A keyboard shortcut to toggle it in other cases without an accompanying settings toggle could be another nice compromise. I could also see nixing icons (particularly when rich icons are disabled) on smaller displays. Font size we've got covered – Ctrl + - to make it smaller, Ctrl + + to make it bigger. I'm not suggesting this is all we'd ever do – or that we'd necessarily change anything at all as that's up to people distinctly not me – but just a few ideas of how we might split the difference here without too much settings bloat.

Finally, some search tips from a search fan. When you're done with a search and ready to do a new one, you've got two easy options to clear that search out – you can press Ctrl + F which will focus the search field and highlight your previous search so it's overwritten when you start typing. Second, you can press Esc any time the search field is focused to clear it out. Esc can cancel other actions as well, so I'm generally a fan of the former since it will always do exactly the same thing.

Hopefully some of this helps streamline things, even if we don't quite hit the mark with what you're after, and of course, I definitely appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. :chuffed:

• dlandwirth
    dlandwirth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all the detail and Ctrl ++/-, ESC tips! I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on settings bloat. I guess I opt for more functionality "hidden" in settings because, once one's preferences are setup, they never have to look into the settings again. But, not having the option forces users to bend to the programmer's will and, as a coder for over 25 years, I've always tried to let users work the way they want, not the way I think.

Here's one compromise you might adore, how about a keyboard shortcut to jump to a letter group? Like Ctrl-Shift-A, Ctrl-Shift-B, Ctrl-Shift-C, etc?

Thanks again for the thoughtful discussion and quick response. Much appreciated and glad to know that there is really someone listening to users' concerns. Really great!

Best,

Don

• It's no trouble at all, @dlandwirth! I can't always promise we'll fix every problem, but listening is definitely something I've got covered. :wink: The keyboard shortcuts are definitely something I can pass along. As you may have noticed from my list of 'em, we've actually got quite a few already that handle some of these more niche needs in addition to just catering to keyboard junkies like me. You can find a list here if you'd like to learn more of 'em:

https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

And, of course, I hope you have a lovely weekend and if I can do anything more to help, well, I'll be here. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.