Brave Browser extension

r_someone
r_someone
Community Member

Hello, I've recently switched over to Brave Browser since 1Password 6.8.9 is not supported in Safari anymore.
However, I cannot seem to sign into the 1Password extension in Brave Browser. It asks for a secret key, which I know I don't have for my version. Then the help page says that you don't need to a secret key or need to sign-in for that version.
So I try to sign-in without a secret key, and it says that I need a secret key.
So... this is a bit confusing. How do I sign in and use the 1Password extension in Brave Browser?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: X
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @r_someone,

The current version of Brave is only compatible with 1Password 7.1.2 or newer. They made a change to their signature when they reworked the browser for their 1.0 release, rendering it incompatible with 1Password 6.8.9.

• r_someone
    r_someone
    Community Member

Thanks for the info...and that's unfortunate. Is there any browser (with extension) that I can use with 1Password 6.8.9?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think it's unfortunate at all. Sometimes things have to change to make progress, and the new Brave launched last year is pretty nice, I'd say. So we added support for it in the current version of 1Password. I can't recommend sticking with outdated software of any kind, as in the long run you'd need to also avoid updating your browser/OS to maintain compatibility, and that's a security risk. But any other browser which hasn't changed to make it incompatible with the old version of 1Password will work -- until they change it, which is really just a matter of time.

1Password 6 legacy support information

• r_someone
    r_someone
    Community Member

Thanks for the link, that's the info I was looking for.
    I get it, you guys need to update, make your software safe and usable, make a living, etc. Your perspective is sound.
    Though so is the consumer's... we buy software, then come to realize—for some of them, we have to pay more every year.
    That being said, I've enjoyed the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know you have enjoyed 1Password :) If there is anything else we can to do help, please let us know.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.