How do I log off 1Password after I'm done using it?

iguana630
iguana630
Community Member

I signed up about 1 week ago and I'm in my trial period and trying to learn how to use 1Password. I'm on an iMac using macOS High Sierra v10.13.6. I just save and then changed to a stronger password for my first website. After I was done I couldn't see where to log off 1Password. I believe the software logs me off if inactivity goes beyond around 10 mins. But waiting for that to happen doesn't sound secure. Can you help? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I log off 1Password after I am done using it?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @iguana630! Are you talking about using the 1Password 7 for Mac app? If so, you can change the security settings of 1Password (including timeout) to your liking in 1Password > Preferences > Security.

But assuming you're not walking away from your computer and leaving it unlocked and unattended, there shouldn't be any reason to lock 1Password after each time you use it. I work at my computer all day long, and 1Password is open that entire time except if I step away for lunch or the like. You should certainly shut your computer down if you're leaving it in a publicly-accessible space while you're not there (such as a multi-roommate home or even a café). But it will be significantly inconvenient if every time you want to save or even fill a password (or look up some of your saved 1Password data), you have to re-unlock 1Password.

What types of attacks are you hoping to prevent by locking 1Password after every time you use it for anything?

• iguana630
    iguana630
    Community Member

I think you answered my question - thank you. I'm just not used to an app that doesn't have a log out option. I will look at Preference> Security to view my options. I won't be using the app on publicly-accessible devices so there probably is no reason for concern. Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.