How to change a multi user 1Password to a single user 1Password on OSX and setting up a new Mac

Options
serky
serky
Community Member

Hello

I need some help changing my current set-up. We currently have 2 user accounts on a Mac, each with our own vaults plus a shared vault (set up in Users\Shared), shared using folder sync. This has work fine (see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/60547/share-vault-set-up-using-wifi#latest for details).

We are changing to one user account only on the mac (just don't get the use to justify a second account). I now need to shift User 2 personal vault's data and the shared vault's data to my own 1Password. I am wondering the best way to do this. Would the following work:
1. move User 2 personal vault data into the shared vault
2. move the shared vault data into my personal vault

I believe that everything will then appear in my 1Password (both on the OSX account and on my iPad).

I then need to transfer the data to a new Mac. What is the best way to do this? Should I just install 1Password on the new Mac and sync my iPad to the new Mac?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Local WLAN sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@serky: It's not feasible unless you want to share literally everything in 1Password -- including the Master Password to unlock it. It's really best to use the OS's built in multi-user support to keep things separate since that way one person accidentally making a mistake may not affect everyone else who uses the computer. Otherwise, if you're okay with consolidating everything, you can use Folder Sync to save a copy of each vault to easily transfer them to the new Mac and open them in 1Password there. :)

• serky
    serky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Yes - we want to share everything - and we already use the same master password. We will just use a separate vault for User 2 'own interest' data to keep it a bit simpler.
    1. My personal vault is stored in user1\library\application support\1Password\1password.agilekeychain
    2. Our shared vault is stored in users\shared\1passwordshared\shared.opvault
    3. I will move User 2 data to a new vault: users\shared\1passwordshared\User2.opvault

Do I then copy the 3 files (User2.opvault, shared.opvault, 1password.agilekeychain) to the folder: 'new user\library\application support\1Password\' on the new mac?

Both User 1 and User 2 have an iPad with 1Password. How do I point both iPads at the 'New User' 1Password data?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@serky: I'm sorry for the delay. It doesn't so much matter where those vaults are so long as the files are all owned by the user account that needs to access them. Otherwise you can end up with permissions issues. Once you have them moved over, you can setup 1Password initially with one, and then double-click each additional vault in Finder to add it as well. Then you'll have everything right there in 1Password under a single macOS user account.

However, I'd recommend a 1Password membership since that would greatly simplify vault management and sync configuration -- to the point of nearly zero. Since you're okay with sharing everything anyway, an individual 1Password membership would work just fine. But that way you'd just need to sign into the account on each device to access all the data in 1Password -- and you'll always have automatic offsite backup for your encrypted 1Password data, along with all the apps and updates. If that's something you'd like to try, shoot me an email at support@1password.com so I can help you make the transition. :)

This discussion has been closed.