Annoying UI fails (*****too short title)

Options
pixycz
pixycz
Community Member

These are UI fails annoyig me the most. The first two came with the last version…

• bad visual priority, the most important information is suppressed, the note content is displayed gray on gray (see 1st screenshot)
  • the information about password duplicity is useful, but it's too strong, overriding all other information. Sometimes duplicate passwords aren't problem, sometimes they are intentional – see 2nd screenshot, the Blueboard and Zendesk blueboard origin in the same registration process and these have to be the same
  • related to above: 1Password doesn't support registration process using different domains. Like if I register to exampleservice.com and the registration/login is redirected to exampleserviceauth.com… I know it's an antipattern, but it happens pretty often. Similarly, the Blueboard above – the registration is for Blueboard.cz, but the auth process uses zendesk.com as well…
  • 1Password poorly supports multiple registrations within the same site. Typical example: a hosting service where you setup a login for every domain and every service. 1Pass can't handle this, I have to use my own naming system. Similarly multiple Google or Twitter accounts, 1Pass is clueless here… :(

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pixycz: Thanks for the feedback. Your first two points are things we're evaluating. Regarding the others:

related to above: 1Password doesn't support registration process using different domains. Like if I register to exampleservice.com and the registration/login is redirected to exampleserviceauth.com… I know it's an antipattern, but it happens pretty often. Similarly, the Blueboard above – the registration is for Blueboard.cz, but the auth process uses zendesk.com as well…

1Password is designed to prevent phishing attacks by only filling a Login at the same domain you saved it. But you can freely add multiple URLs to any Login item if desired.

1Password poorly supports multiple registrations within the same site. Typical example: a hosting service where you setup a login for every domain and every service. 1Pass can't handle this, I have to use my own naming system. Similarly multiple Google or Twitter accounts, 1Pass is clueless here… :(

I don't know what you're expecting, but I use 1Password with about a dozen Google accounts, so it definitely works. You're right that it's pretty crucial to name them something useful to tell them apart, but that's not really a 1Password thing but rather just a matter of us having too many accounts. This is why most people don't give all of their kids the same name, I imagine. :)

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm managing about a dozen Google accounts too. Of course, it works in 1Pass. What I'm just saying, a company specialized in password management should know this scenario and try and support multiple accounts natively, in a better way. Group them, allow multiple accounts without postfixing the title, list them better in the mini app. Every time I log in to my hosting, I can see a large list with a right part of the titles hidden – just because the default mini view is too narrow for such long titles. It could work much better way. I'm pretty sure about it (as an eperienced UX designer)…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pixycz: And don't forget you can resize 1Password mini, if the length of your item titles are a bit unwieldy. Cheers! :)

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, what a handy feature! If only the size and position would be persistent…

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pixycz: They sure seem to be here, and we haven't had reports to the contrary. Can you clarify?

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

You mean it's globally persistent. I meant if it was persistent per site. For my hosting I need the mini window 4x times bigger than for most the other sites. If I resize the window for my hosting or Google, it's too big for all other cases.

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

Or maybe auto resize based od the amount of matching items and their title length…

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pixycz: Thanks for clarifying! It's the first request to have different sizes for 1Password mini per website, so I never even imagined that's what you meant. We don't have any plans for that, and it seems kind of odd given that even the browser itself does not do that. But it's something we'll evaluate as we get feedback from everyone else.

I'd be curious how you're using 1Password mini that makes it "too big" though. Are you spending a lot of time staring at it? A small fraction of 1Password use involves having it open, as it's dismissed as soon as you switch to any other app. In cases where users have only a single login for a website (most) and use the keyboard shortcut to fill (many), it won't even be shown at all. So I'm interested to hear of a new use case. :)

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    Options

OK, this makes no sense, you have to how to design your app, an oppinion of a single user is meaningless…

Thinking about it, I believe the major problem is just the messy and badly balanced content of the mini app window, which makes me to need to minimize it whenever possible. You try to put too much information in there – I need to simply login to a web site, and I'm provided with a list o multiple logins, identities, banking accounts, credit cards, pasword generator, and possibly – as the strongest message – a warning the site isn't https and my password is a duplicity… Comparing to this, the old 1Password UI was crystal clear. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019
    Options

I mean, the browser doesn't resize itself each time you go to a different website, so I'm not sure it makes sense for 1Password to. But again, it's the first time I've seen it come up, there may be other use cases we haven't even considered. :)

1Password mini is really composed of three things: search bar at the top, item list on the left, and item details on the right. The only one that's new in version 7 is the item details, which were explicitly added because a lot of people use 1Password almost exclusively in their browser, and that allows them to do more there. For scale, this is roughly the default size of 1Password mini on a 15" screen:

I really don't think that's particularly intrusive, both size-wise and in regard to content; but of course it can be resized, and in most cases you don't even need to see it at all when filling Logins, because ⌘ \ will not even display 1Password mini unless you have more than one login for the site, in which case it will show you them so you can select the one you want.

It's not set in stone though, so we'll continue to iterate on the design over time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.