Changing default actions: Is it possible?

gmagana
gmagana
Community Member
edited October 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, I searched the forums and could not find an answer, so here's my question issue: On the Windows application, is it possible to change these two default actions?

1) Click on the tray icon:

Can I make it so that left clicking on the tray icon triggers the second action (Open 1Password app)? The "mini" app/panel just does not work for me (Less is not more for me). I have to right click and select the second option continually, and it's really annoying to have to do that continually.

2) Default action on a URL:

I also never want to "open and fill" URLs. I always want to "copy". As part of my work I'm always using different browsers, so open and fill does not do what I need since the default browser is seldom the one I need to use. I also need very often to just copy the URL off 1Password, and not actually visit it on a browser. I don't use the browser plugins, so it never "fills" anyway.

Is there a way for me to make the default button element be the "Copy"?

I love 1Password and use it continually, but all these extra clicks are driving me nuts, I'm hoping there is some relief in an option hidden away somewhere...

EDIT: Oh, and this one is REALLY freekin' annoying: Items that are not URLs default to "Open and fill", and when I click on that by mistake it fires up a browser tab with a trash URL:

I don't know what I'm doing to cause 1Password to consider a random string as a URL (it looks nothing like a URL, for example "alskdfjlegrijr"), but that one is very annoying, since some of these strings default to "Open and fill" and some default to "Copy".

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On the Windows application, is it possible to change these two default actions?
    1) Click on the tray icon: [...] Can I make it so that left clicking on the tray icon triggers the second action (Open 1Password app)? The "mini" app/panel just does not work for me (Less is not more for me). I have to right click and select the second option continually, and it's really annoying to have to do that continually.

@gmagana: We haven't had other requests for this so I don't expect we'll be changing it. But Ctrl-click will open the main 1Password app window. :)

2) Default action on a URL: [...] I also never want to "open and fill" URLs. I always want to "copy". As part of my work I'm always using different browsers, so open and fill does not do what I need since the default browser is seldom the one I need to use. I also need very often to just copy the URL off 1Password, and not actually visit it on a browser. I don't use the browser plugins, so it never "fills" anyway. Is there a way for me to make the default button element be the "Copy"?

The default action is Open & Fill because that's how most people interact with website URLs in 1Password. But tabbing to the field you want and pressing Ctrl C will copy that information to the clipboard, and perhaps we can add a keyboard shortcut specifically for copying the website address in the future if it's something many people will find useful. On a somewhat related note, you may find some existing keyboard shortcuts useful too, since it sounds like you don't like clicking. :)

Oh, and this one is REALLY freekin' annoying: Items that are not URLs default to "Open and fill", and when I click on that by mistake it fires up a browser tab with a trash URL: [...] I don't know what I'm doing to cause 1Password to consider a random string as a URL (it looks nothing like a URL, for example "alskdfjlegrijr"), but that one is very annoying, since some of these strings default to "Open and fill" and some default to "Copy".

It looks like you've put that information in a "website" field and just changed the name. Don't do that. It's still a website field and 1Password will treat is as such. You can create new custom fields and even specify their type to save whatever information you want. That will work better for you. :)

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Thanks for the reply, @brenty.

But Ctrl-click will open the main 1Password app window.

OMG, thank you so much! Just out of curiosity, where is this documented? I'd like to know any more of these default shortcuts...

it sounds like you don't like clicking

Haha very true. I do a lot of UX design, and it really is a pet peeve of mine to lock stuff behind extra mouse clicks.

Perhaps we can add a keyboard shortcut specifically for copying the website address in the future if it's something many people will find useful

It occurs to me that instead of adding more to the already large number of keyboard shortcuts there are, 1Pass would benefit from adding buttons whose captions change when you hold down a modifier key, as Adobe does (Camera Raw in this example):

If you hold down ALT, the button caption changes to show you what function the click will have:

As long as the window has focus, the captions of all the buttons change when you hold down a modifier key. If you'd allow me to suggest something, then it would be to implement it this way. No need to disturb all the people who already are used to the current UI, no need to add even more keyboard combinations that your user will have to memorize. Just hold down different modifier keys and let everyone explore on they own terms.

It looks like you've put that information in a "website" field and just changed the name.

I did indeed... I did not know that was a web site URL-only section (nor the implications of me having done so). If this is the case, then I've got a ton of my entries set up wrong in 1Pass. I have a lot of questions now, but instead of asking you, is it documented online somewhere? I'm also not sure about why there exists a username/password field at the top, and then "Web form details" below, which are also editable.

Thanks for your clarifications, now I understand much more of what's going on in the screen.

• Starting with the quick one, @gmagana, the web form details actually aren't user-editable. They're able to be viewed, copied and whatnot, but they can't be changed unless you update the Login item using the extension. Since you don't use the extension at all, they're of no relevance at all to you – they contain information about the page the extension saves to help it fill, which you're not doing anyway. Curious you've got them at all, in fact. I guess maybe you used the extension in the past or form details were maybe imported from another password manager? Regardless, they don't serve any purpose for you so are probably best ignored. Ok, maybe not so quick. Sorry. :lol:

I have a lot of questions now, but instead of asking you, is it documented online somewhere?

Custom fields generally are covered here. This looks like it was meant to be a "one time password"? Or maybe a plain old password? Certain fields are "guarded" and won't allow you to change the field type. These are template fields that have a larger impact on how 1Password fills and the default website field is among them so you may need to create new fields for data you've saved in those default fields. Many others, however, can simply have their type changed. Changing the type is documented in the link I shared so hopefully that helps you check whether you can just correct the field type and be done with it, but should you ever be unsure, do ask. We don't mind. :chuffed:

1Pass would benefit from adding buttons whose captions change when you hold down a modifier key

That is actually a super cool idea. I love keeping my fingers on the keyboard so favor shortcuts, but shortcuts on Windows can be a pain. So much is already taken and there's just a whole heck of a lot you can do in 1Password. Despite my strong motivation to do so, I would probably be hard pressed to remember even the existing keyboard shortcuts, let alone more. I must admit your idea seems better, even if it would mean I'd have to use my mouse sometimes. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to the development team. :+1:

I also couldn't help but notice this tidbit:

it really is a pet peeve of mine to lock stuff behind extra mouse clicks.

If you couldn't tell, I firmly believe that anyone who makes me touch my mouse at all is doing it wrong so I have an extra little treat for you – Ctrl + Shift + \ will open the main app too. No mouse required. :wink:

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply, @bundtkate !

For the "Web form details" section, in the Windows app, I could edit those fields when I edited the entry, and upon saving, the "username" and "password" fields at the top adopted the values I changed below. So at least they appear to be kept in sync. And I think you're right, at some point I must have used the extension.

Actually, I'm giving using the extension another try, maybe I can make it work if I install on all the browsers.

Thanks for the info link also. I'm really happy that at least I can ctrl-click the tray icon and trigger the app.

Glad to see that the modifier/button caption pattern might work for 1Pass, the credit goes to Adobe, I love how they kept all the functionality without cluttering the UI with a ton of buttons.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gmagana: Ah, indeed, when saving a Login using the browser extension, it grabs "web form details" and the username and password fields it finds there are marked as such so that 1Password knows what those are and what to do with them. So, rather than being "in sync", the designated username and password in the web form details are the username and password that show at the top. It's important to have those up there for convenience, and since they may need to be changed at some point.

I would definitely recommend using the browser extensions, for a few reasons:

• Super convenient for saving and filling
    • More secure than using the clipboard
    • Easy to search and access other 1Password in the browser

I also like that modifier key idea. Thanks for suggesting it (I don't personally use any Adobe software, so I never would have found that)! Hopefully we can do something like that in the future. Cheers! :)

P.S: Just a side note about website fields in 1Password: I'd definitely encourage you to make sure you don't have any non-URL data in those, as 1Password uses them to match your Login items to the corresponding websites. There was someone recently who had edited one of those to make it an "email" field, put their email address there, and then ended up with all of those Logins being offered for filling on their actual email login page because the domain matched. Very confusing.

This discussion has been closed.