defunct website detection

koppenhoefer
koppenhoefer
Community Member

Can WatchTower warn me for websites that have become defunct (no longer exist),.. or change ownership,.. or have an expired certificate,.. or massively change their IP address.

I was cleaning up some old old reused passwords,.. and noticed, for example, that hostingrails.com on which I had an old account no longer existed. I was thankful that no-one had set up a fake site in its place to catch revisitors. Also,.. if websites no longer exist,.. it'd be great not to have them noisy up my watchtower lists of reusedpasswords weakpasswords unsecuredurls.

Using 1password (I'm at v7) is a pleasure,.. and watchtower, in particular, is a wonderful friend holding my hand and helping me feel safer. Thank-you for your amazing work/service.

shawn - from Switzerland
(born'n'raised in Ontario!)

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@koppenhoefer: Thanks for asking! We experimented with something like that in the past, but the problem is that results in 1Password connecting to "random" websites without user interaction, which seems a bit creepy; and when the websites are not reachable...well you've got that connection hanging for a while while it waits to time out. There could be false positives with that, as far as sites being temporarily unreachable, resulting in 1Password thinking they're gone entirely. It also would result in useless connections to those servers potentially by millions of 1Password users, which seems like a gross thing to do as a citizen on the net. And similarly with certificates those same issues can crop up, and result in more overhead in general for 1Password on your device. Perhaps we'll be able to come up with a more workable solution in the future though. In the mean time you can always go through those reused/weak/etc. logins with Watchtower and get rid of the ones that are for websites that are no longer relevant for whatever reason. :)

• koppenhoefer
    koppenhoefer
    Community Member

Thanks @TeamMember (whoever you are)(which is annoying not know who I'm thankful for)(sol:at least create a fictive name like Fred,.. you look like a Fred) for the fast detailed response. Count me in to beta-test,.. in case you ever try bringing such a soln back.

p.s. I tried to post another question just after that first one,.. but I got rejected as a Spammer. . it was a good idea I had,.. but now I've lost it. . Perhaps the antispammer could be more forgiving for someone who is "in the groove" (to ask a 2nd question on the tails of the first question) at least to people registered in your database for a delta-time of more than 1day. just a thought.

re-thanks.
    constructive-criticism & questions is sooooo much easier than actually impleeeemmennnting the services,.. and you really have done an awesome job that everyone needs.

me

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@koppenhoefer - that team member is brenty -- you should be able to see that over on the left side of your browser window. Here's an example:

If you can't see that, it might be time to either restart your browser, or perhaps review your list of installed extensions, particularly adblockers. The forum software we use for this is Vanilla, and we don't have reports of other users not being able to see our (or each others') names. On a related note, the spam feature of Vanilla isn't that adjustable; it's more of an on-or-off type of thing, so although we monitor the Spam comments section pretty regularly, we can't promise that perfectly valid posts won't sometimes get snared in the net. When we find such, however, we do indeed restore them to the thread they were intended for.

We appreciate the kind words as well as the suggestions; not everyone takes the time to come and share their views with us here or anywhere else, and we truly value everyone who does, even (maybe especially) if it's criticism or ideas for new features/improvements. So thanks for being a part of that. :)

This discussion has been closed.