Trouble with "USER's Family Authentication Error" and Vault Question

Options
eastvanjim
eastvanjim
Community Member

Hey everyone - I'm new here (New to this forum and 1Password 7, but not new to 1Password).

I've been super reluctant to move to the subscription based version 7 from my version of 6 (user since version 3), but I pulled the trigger this weekend and having problems. Well, I think they are problems.

I set-up a Family account and able to login into 1Password.com with the credentials I have on 3 different browsers, so I know the info I have is correct and it all matches my Emergency Kit. But, I ran into a wall with the application on my Mac (Mojave 10.14.6), I upgraded the software yesterday but kept getting an "MYNAME's Family Authentication Error" and tried for quite a while to login without any luck manually and when it came to scanning the QR Code on the Emergency Kit - I got the same result.

My first instinct to is uninstall 1Password an reinstall it, but I'm worried about losing my database and at this point - I'm not even 100% sure where my vault is. I know it used to be in Dropbox, but can't see where it is in the system prefs now. Am I correct that this is now on the Agile server? I can see that Dropbox Vaults has not been updated since Saturday and many changes have been made since to the that Vault.

Can someone enlighten me on the Authentication Error and suggest how to proceed? On the Vault, am I correct that the vault that was on Dropbox is now on the Agile server? Is there only a way to back it up locally or can I copy the entire file?

Finally, I can access my previous 1Password 6 vault files through the web browsers, but when I click vaults at the top of the web browser screen, I can see that there is my Private Vault and a shared vault (shared vault is empty) But, when I go the browser screen top right under my name and click Vaults there it only lists the shared vault and not my Private vault. Why is this?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eastvanjim! Welcome to the forum!

I upgraded the software yesterday but kept getting an "MYNAME's Family Authentication Error"

Is this the complete error message?

But, when I go the browser screen top right under my name and click Vaults there it only lists the shared vault and not my Private vault. Why is this?

Because the Private vault is the only one that cannot be deleted or modified. So we don't show it under the Vaults menu since you wouldn't be able to change any of its settings, unlike the other vaults ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eastvanjim: A good starting point would be to verify that 1) you can sign into your 1Password membership account through the website in your browser -- https://start.1password.com -- and 2) that you have all of your data there. If both are the case, that simplifies things greatly. As Ana mentioned, knowing the exact error may help, but it sounds like you may just have some credentials wrong, or something is actively blocking 1Password for Mac from connecting to the internet -- often "security" software, proxy, VPN, etc. As far as the "Private" vault being "missing" in the app, that sounds like you've hidden it from the All Vaults view in Preferences > Vaults, or not marked it as "Safe for Travel" when enabling Travel Mode. Let us know what you find.

• eastvanjim
    eastvanjim
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ana and Brent - as mentioned in my long description (sorry), I was about to login 3 different browsers using the same credentials and yes, the vaults are there. I have tried multiple times with the OSX app, being extra careful and checking what I am typing plus the scanning of the Emergency Kit gave me the same error, which is:

MYNAME's Family Authentication Error
    We're having trouble signing you into your account. Please make sure all your information is enterered correctly below.

I think Ana explained why my Private Vault was missing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eastvanjim: Keep in mind that you've setup different things that can have different passwords:

• local (Primary) vault -- the Master Password you set for that, likely years ago, will be used to unlock the app
    • 1Password membership account -- the Master Password you set when signing up for that, likely recently, will be needed to sign in

There is no harm trying multiple times. You will not be penalized. But you will not be able to sign into the account without entering the Master Password you set for it when you created it, and that's not information we have and therefore cannot help you with.

• eastvanjim
    eastvanjim
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Just to clear up your last note:

• my data* from local vault that was sync'd to Dropbox is now on the Agile server now, correct?
      • I can see on my iOS devices that I can access both vaults now (Dropbox and the Family membership - but there is no reason to access the original one anymore, right?
    • regarding your two points about the Master Passwords - do you mean that I'm using a different password to unlock the local install on my MacBook Pro than I would with 1Password.com? Shouldn't they be the same?

Sorry - I'm more lost now than when I started I think

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eastvanjim: I'm also sorry for my part in any confusion, but I'm sure we can get you sorted.

my data* from local vault that was sync'd to Dropbox is now on the Agile server now, correct?

If you moved/copied it to a 1Password membership account, then yes, that's where your encrypted data is now. The local vault with Dropbox would just be a remnant of the past setup in that case.

I can see on my iOS devices that I can access both vaults now (Dropbox and the Family membership - but there is no reason to access the original one anymore, right?

It sounds like that's the case, and then it would be best to setup your devices with just the 1Password membership account and remove the old vault. But please first verify that you have all your data when you sign into https://start.1password.com in your browser.

regarding your two points about the Master Passwords - do you mean that I'm using a different password to unlock the local install on my MacBook Pro than I would with 1Password.com? Shouldn't they be the same?

The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in it. SO if you've still got a local vault, then you will need to enter its Master Password. Once you have only your 1Password membership account setup in the app, then its Master Password will be used to unlock though. That's the goal. :)

• eastvanjim
    eastvanjim
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty this is great information thank you. I think I'm ready to cut the apron strings on the old Drobox vault because it confusing as hell to have both connected on my iOS devices.

I have 1 last question and can start a new thread, but is there recommendation on how best to share my vault with my Wife? I want to give her full access - can I just share my Private vault with her and then she doesn't set-up her own Private vault? or?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eastvanjim:

I have 1 last question and can start a new thread, but is there recommendation on how best to share my vault with my Wife? I want to give her full access - can I just share my Private vault with her and then she doesn't set-up her own Private vault? or?

The Private vault cannot be shared: each user will have their own private vault only they can access. If you want to share everything though, you can certainly do that: you can move everything inside the Shared vault and both of you can use that vault exclusively to share data.

• eastvanjim
    eastvanjim
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana - thanks! That works for me. I really appreciate the quick reply!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.