Browser not inside /Applications folder

Options
pawlowski
pawlowski
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

I'm using Nix to manage my system, configuration, binaries, apps, everything.
This means my apps are located somewhere deep in /nix/store/..., symlinked to ~/Applications.

So, when I install 1Password extension (desktop app required) in Brave, I'm receiving the following error:

If Brave Browser is not in the Applications folder, 1Password may be unable to verify its identity. Please move Brave Browser to the Applications folder and try again.

I've tried symlinking ~/Applications/Brave Browser.app to /Applications/Brave Browser.app, it doesn't work.

And I wonder, why moving the actual app bundle to /Applications is required? Why can't you use NSRunningApplication.bundleURL to determine the actual path to app bundle instead of scanning /Applications. Or at least follow symlinks?

I may be missing something, but I see no security benefit in requiring binaries to be located inside /Applications.
IMO if I'm running my browser from some obscure folder, another partition, FUSE filesystem, etc and that browser passes signature check - 1Password should allow extension to work.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pawlowski: Due to sandboxing, 1Password and the browser must be in the system /Applications folder in order to communicate with each other. If you put them there, you should be good to go. :)

This discussion has been closed.