Quick Password-to-Clipboard Keyboard Functionality

Hello,

I'm loving 1Password! I use it all the time at work on both Windows and Mac.

I have a simple suggestion that would greatly increase the speed of getting the password you want, without having to use the mouse.

When 1Password gains focus (either maximized from a minimized state or simply from not being the selected window), the search box should should immediately gain focus so I can start typing in a query. Once I've filtered the list of accounts enough using the search feature, it would be cool if I could then use Tab or the Up/Down Cursor keys to navigate to the desired account, then Enter or Ctrl+C to immediately copy the password (first or most relevant in the account) to the clipboard. From there I can Alt-Tab to a different app and use it as pleased. There could also be another shortcut to Auto-Type instead of copy to clipboard.

Right now, the search box isn't always on focus when the app gains focus requiring me to use the mouse, and there doesn't seem to be a way of moving down to the first selection after you've searched for something, thus requiring the mouse again.
Once you've selected an account, it seems to me the quickest way to copy the password to clipboard is to hit tab five or six times then Ctrl-C.

Like I said, love the product, just a quick suggestion for keyboard lovers such as myself.

Cheers,
Paul

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Paul Leduc wrote:

Right now, the search box isn't always on focus when the app gains focus requiring me to use the mouse

Ctrl+F opens the search box and sets input focus into the search box.

Paul Leduc wrote:

and there doesn't seem to be a way of moving down to the first selection after you've searched for something, thus requiring the mouse again.

You can Tab from the search box to the list.
  • [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ctrl+F opens the search box and sets input focus into the search box.[/font]

So it does! Although it would still be one less keystroke for the search box to gain focus automatically.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You can Tab from the search box to the list. [/font]

I see that now, but you have to hit tab three times then the down cursor once, making it on par with the speed of just using the mouse. I don't see any reason why someone would want to tab to the 'Done' button or to the 'Include notes' checkbox at all, so those steps could easily be skipped, and there's really no reason to focus on the account list without having an account selected if one isn't already, so the down cursor step could be easily skipped as well.

Right now, the flow is:
    Open 1Password Window -> Ctrl+F -> [query] -> Tab -> Tab -> Tab -> Down -> [however many downs to account] -> Move Mouse and click on Copy Password

Much faster would be:
    Open 1Password Window -> [query] -> Tab (or Down, like Google) -> [however many downs to account, if not the first one] -> Enter to Copy Password

4-5+ steps versus 9+ steps.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Paul, and welcome to the forums!

One thing I'd like to point out is that the focus is in the search field when you first unlock 1Password, but we will not be "stealing" the focus from where the user has placed it anytime the app is brought to the foreground. That would be extremely disruptive when trying to switch quickly between 1Password and another app. The focus would be jumping back to the search box every time driving the user insane. Search field focus on unlock and CTRL+F are very speedy ways to search.

We'll take your additional feedback under advisement as we work to improve 1Password. :D

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.