Problem setting up 1pass on iPad

I currently have 1password on my macbook air and just purchased 1password for my ipad. When I open 1password on my mac it shows my ipad in devices but there is nowhere to enter the secret codes. Would this process be easier if I download dropbox to set it up? I am not a computer whiz so can you please give instructions that I can understand! Thank you.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble syncing, pammy. Before I go too far, I just want to mention that I think you are right about Dropbox. Dropbox provides a method of syncing that is fully automatic, does not require you to even be near your computer, and is our recommended method of securely syncing. Those "secret codes" are only for Wi-Fi syncing. If you use Dropbox to sync, you do not need them. :)

If you are setting up 1Password on your iPad for the first time, you will need to create a new database into which the data will sync from Dropbox. So go ahead and tap the "New Database" button on the welcome screen — skip the "Sync Existing" button as it is only for Wi-Fi syncing.

With Dropbox syncing, you can keep 1Password up to date from across town or across the country — anywhere you have an Internet connection. You Mac doesn't even have to be turned on!

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

I would strongly advise going with Dropbox syncing. It is more robust than Wi-Fi syncing (since it works as long as you have an Internet connection). It is also extremely secure:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

If you would prefer to stick with manually syncing via Wi-Fi, please read on.

On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar under the SYNC section in 1Password, please remove it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete…"

**IMPORTANT:** Please restart your Mac and iOS device before proceeding further. This will restart the Bonjour networking service that Apple provides for Wi-Fi syncing. You can restart your iOS device by holding down both the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.

After restarting, please open Terminal (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste this line into Terminal and press Return:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

Now, please open 1Password on your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device:

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Tap **Settings > Sync** and turn Wi-Fi Sync ON.
    3. Tap "Allow New Connections". 1Password will display two secret sync codes.

On your Mac:

1. You should be prompted to enter the codes automatically.
    2. Click "OK" and begin configuring your sync options.
    3. Click "Sync" to perform a sync operation.

If you are still stuck, please take a look at our Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/sync_problems.html

Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any additional questions.
  • I installed dropbox on my ipad and then installed it on my macbook air and set up with 1pass on my mac. I clicked on new database on my ipad and it looks like it's asking me to set up a password and password hint. I'm confused as I already have a password for 1password.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are not synced from one device/platform to another.

You'll need to make sure that Dropbox syncing is first set up on your Mac:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/configure_dropbox_on_mac.html

Then, once you set up a new database on your iPad, you can enable Dropbox syncing within 1Password's settings on your iPad. (The Dropbox app is never used for syncing 1Password on your iPad. If you don't need it for anything else, you can delete it from your device. All Dropbox syncing is performed directly within the 1Password app on your iPad.) Open 1Password on your iPad and tap:

Settings > Sync > Dropbox

The follow the onscreen prompts after switching it ON.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

In 1Password for Mac 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

If you are using 1Password for Mac 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to follow the instructions here:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you

Then attach the entire file to an email to support AT agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
This discussion has been closed.