To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

"Add a Security Key" Missing?

btgibbs
btgibbs
Community Member

I already have several U2F keys enabled, and they are visible in the list of 2fa devices, however there is no option on the page to add a new key. I have tried with Firefox, Chrome, and Brave to no avail. The only available option is to remove existing keys. Anyone know what might be going on? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• msnellen
    msnellen
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have yubikeys that I would like to add to 1Password, and 2FA is already configured on my account, but when I go to 'Manage Two-Factor Authentication', I see that my Authenticator App is set up as second factor, but there is no button to add a security key.

• Jacob
    edited December 2019

Hey @btgibbs and @msnellen! Sorry about that. We're aware of the issue and looking into it. We'll post back here once that fix is deployed. :)

ref: dev/b5/b5#7187

• Hey, @btgibbs and @msnellen! Just wanted to pop in here and let y'all know that this should be sorted now. Feel free to give it a go and your convenience and let me know if you're still having trouble. :+1:

• loopyfrogger
    loopyfrogger
    Community Member

I am also having this problem today on 12/20. I am a new user and am trying the 30 day free version. I want to add some yubikeys but I don't see the add a security key button. I am running the latest software on Mac Mojave.

• loopyfrogger
    loopyfrogger
    Community Member

Well I guess I will not be using this product as I was looking at using yubikeys with it and as I can't Turn on Two-factor authentication and I can't add the keys it is not what I was hoping for. This also gives me an idea of what the customer service is like. It appears to be non existent. That would be ok if it was't a security package that you depend on. Oh well. See y'all later and good luck in the new year. Glad I found all this out before I purchased anything,

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member

@loopyfrogger, what browser are you using? Not all browsers and browser versions support U2F or FIDO2.

• loopyfrogger
    loopyfrogger
    Community Member

I am using Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 and I have this message Two-factor authentication is turned off for your account.

• new_creation
    new_creation
    Community Member

I can confirm that this option is back and working for me on Windows 10, Firefox 71.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Until you add a TOTP authenticator, you can't use U2F security keys. U2F only works on web platforms (and iOS) at the moment, so using only a U2F key would result in you being unable to login to a significant portion of the devices supported by 1Password. Try adding a TOTP authenticator and then you should be able to add a U2F key @loopyfrogger

• msnellen
    msnellen
    Community Member

I can also confirm that the option is back and working again. iMac on Catalina

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@loopyfrogger:

Please make sure that you have enabled 2FA via TOTP first. Only after you have done it you can add your security keys, as per the documentation page. Let us know how it goes!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@new_creation, @msnellen: Thank you for the confirmation! :+1:

And thank you to @jFred and @pittn for the help ;)

• loopyfrogger
    loopyfrogger
    Community Member

Not well. I have gone through this exercise innumerable times following the documentation to the best of my ability. I DON"T have a button called "Click Turn On Two-Factor Authentication. " Here is the screen that I see . I am using Safari on macOS Catalina version 10.15.2

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@loopyfrogger:

Have you tried clicking on the Set Up App button in the screenshot you posted?

• loopyfrogger
    loopyfrogger
    Community Member

Yes. That wants me to set up an authenticator app which I am not doing.

• mmoud
    mmoud
    Community Member

Having the same issue with my teams accounts . There is no reason for me to enable Authenticator app as I have duo setup so there is no way I will be locked out incase my key is lost. So whats the solution here ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@loopyfrogger:

I see. As mentioned before in this discussion, you must enable 2FA via TOTOP first, before you can add a security key. If you don't want to use an authenticator app, you can certainly never use it afterwards, but you will need to have it enabled (you can also use 1Password itself as your authenticator app, if you prefer, so you don't have to install anything separately). After you have done it, you will be able to add your security key.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mmoud:

I am afraid that the solution for you would be the same: you have to enable an authenticator app (you can either use 1Password itself, if you prefer) before you can add security keys to your account.

• mmoud
    mmoud
    Community Member

Seems like if DUO is enabled then 1Password site does not like codes generated by Authenticator app. After disabling duo I was able to add my keys

I had duo setup to expire my two factor verification every 2 days . Is there a way to do this now that I am natively using 1Password for 2 factor . I don’t want to trust a pc more then 2 days ( I am using 1Password x )

• Hi @mmoud

You could do that manually by reviewing the Authorized Devices list in your account under My Profile at https://start.1password.com/. Otherwise, I'm not aware of a way to do as you're describing.

Ben

• mmoud
    mmoud
    Community Member

Ok , I will move back to DUO then and add my security key there . That way I will get all the features .

One question though about DUO, with other applications using DUO integration , I was able to set security key as default method ( it’s using duo inline prompt ) . Is 1Password going to upgrade to that inline authentication GUI .

• @mmoud

I'd recommend reaching out to our business team about that. They'd be in the best position to comment about Duo. They can be reached at business@1password.com.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.