Character restrictions in Apple products passwords?

Options
romad
romad
Community Member

I was wondering if passwords used in Mac OS, iOS, and their apps are restricted to just the alphabet, numerals, etc. of the set language or if other alphabet characters can be used? What about Unicode symbols? It would be neat to use the symbol created by option-shift-k as part of a password. Does 1Password recognize non-standard Latin alphabet characters or Unicode symbols?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad!

You can certainly use other alphabets in your passwords if you prefer. The password generator uses the English alphabet only, but you can use others ;)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

OK, but what about symbols in passwords other than those on a keyboard?

• rudy
    Options

@romad,

we don't recommend you use emoji in your passwords. This is because there is no consistency between how emoji are presented across the various platforms. I read a thread recently on twitter where the author laid out specific cases where emoji that might appear similar on different platforms (apple vs android vs windows) are composed of completely different control points, resulting in a password that could work now but fail in a way that leaves you locked out in the future.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

So ü, ß and £ would be okay, but  would not if I understand both of you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's correct @romad.

This discussion has been closed.