Using Public WIFI to access 1P?

jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Lounge

I have seen on multiple threads stating that if at all possible to not sign in to 1Password.com on an UNtrusted machine. And instead if one needs a login to a site requiring username and password that is stored in 1Password then at last resort view the details on ones cell phone and type it in manually on the untrusted device. But for me this leads to the question about the "safety" of using 1Password on a trusted machine i.e.mobile or laptop via a public wifi. Can you clarify?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm:

But for me this leads to the question about the "safety" of using 1Password on a trusted machine i.e.mobile or laptop via a public wifi.

Your data is always end-to-end encrypted with 1Password. And your Master Password is never sent anywhere, no matter whether you are using a 1Password app or the 1Password.com website. Everything happens locally on your device (yes, even what you see when you login to your account on 1Password.com is actually a local app delivered to your browser, and run inside your browser).

So while your 1Password data is secure on a device that you trust, even on a public Wi-Fi, you should still exercise caution. Just because your 1Password data is protected does not mean that every other website is, so you should avoid logging in to sensitive accounts (such as your bank) when you are on an untrusted network.

This discussion has been closed.