Browser passwords

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

I mostly use my 1PW7 with firefox as my browser. But sometimes when I try to use Safari instead, I am asked for a new password, Safari doesn't seem to recognize the passwords I already have set up to use with FF. Surely I don't have to have a whole different set of Passwords depending upon the browser I use...or do I?
thx

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1PW

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12!

Do you perhaps use 1Password X in Firefox, instead of the companion browser extension (such as the one you use in Safari)? Because 1Password X does not communicate with the 1Password desktop app, it would explain why you have to unlock it separately from other browsers.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

No, I do not use 1PW X in FF - there must be a different reason that Safari doesn't see or accept my 1 PW passwords which were all created using FF as my browser. Please research this further and let me know what you find out. When I switch to Safari as my browser, it then offers to "save" this "new" password.....that doesn't make sense and has created a situation where I only can use 1 PW in FF so as not to endure this hassle.

• Ben
    Options

@tuni12

If you're being prompted to save logins which you already have saved it is likely you haven't disabled the built-in password tools in your browser. Please try these instructions:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password

Ben

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, that makes sense - will remove those in safari preferences and try it - will let you know.
    thx

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.