"App detected on Secure Desktop" pop-up controls should not gain focus automatically.

Options

I've had the "App detected on Secure Desktop" pop up trigger. That pop-up is usually delayed by a second or two. (At least when triggered by fresh Synergy installs.) It's quite likely that the user will be typing their master password in when the pop-up appears. If the user presses "Enter" to submit their master password as the pop-up appears, but before the user has noticed it, the "Enter" will be directed to the pop-up, selecting an "unknown" (to the user) button from that pop-up.

The "App detected on Secure Desktop" dialog should not have any of it's controls gain focus when it appears to avoid accidental input.

Focus being lost from the master password input control is probably a good thing from the security stand-point, so it should probably still happen.

1Password Version: 7.4.759
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• We actually tried to control focus here, @Philippe23, but it wasn't behaving consistently. Asking for focus on Windows is more of a suggestion than a guarantee and it's even tougher on a secure desktop. That said, there is one thing that can help folks that do find themselves in this position. There is no whitelist for what's allowed on the secure desktop. This means each new secure desktop is a fresh start. If you find you've selected an unknown option in that window, you can exit out of the secure desktop and start a new one confident that whatever the heck you did has now been undone.

Now, down the road, we may add the option to whitelist and/or blacklist certain apps. There are some concerns about how feasible that is so I can't guarantee it will happen at all, but if we do that, we would obviously need to have those lists be editable by y'all. At that point, you could consult the lists and adjust them accordingly if you were ever uncertain what you'd done.

Focus is a giant pain in general and there is little I find more frustrating than discovering that focus isn't where I expected it to be. I see this from time to time in 1Password, but also in other apps on my PC. That doesn't help me get any better at paying attention to it, but I think it's a frustration nearly every developer shares. This is a particularly niggly one as you're right – the potential is there for you to make a choice without knowing what it was and that's uncomfortable to say the least. Hopefully the suggestion I provided helps for now and we'll definitely do what we can to make focus more predictable as we improve this experience overall. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.