To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to login on 1password.com with Touch ID

pmcatarino
pmcatarino
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm trying to login on 1password.com with Google Chrome and after inputting my master password, the browser asks me to either use my USB security key or my built in touch id sensor (I can always fallback to an auth code):

The problem is that when I select to use use the built in sensor I'm presented with an error stating that something went wrong.

Any idea what could be causing this?

I'm using the latest macos, 1Password beta on desktop and 1Password X beta on the browser. I have not installed the 1Password companion desktop app.

1Password Version: 7.5.BETA-0
Extension Version: 1.18.8
OS Version: macos 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pmcatarino! Welcome to the forum!

I know that 1Password.com supports security keys, but I have never heard of it working with Touch ID directly (the desktop and mobile apps do). Has the "built-in" sensor option ever worked for you?

• pmcatarino
    pmcatarino
    Community Member

Hi!

I also have a Yubico, and that one is working fine in the browser. The desktop Touch ID is also working fine.

The "built-in" sensor is new to me, I've just purchased a new Macbook Pro and it's the first time I've seen it.

• Hi @pmcatarino

We don't have any support for logging into the 1Password.com web app using a fingerprint. If you'd like to use a fingerprint to access 1Password that is possible using 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS:

Get the 1Password apps

Ben

• pmcatarino
    pmcatarino
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

That's OK. I'm currently using the latest beta for 1Password Desktop and the 1Password X beta extensions for Chrome and Firefox and it's been working great so far.

I just wanted to know if it was any problem on my side or a feature not implemented.

Thank you for clarifying.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

As the resident turbo-nerd when it comes to U2F/FIDO (not employed by Agilebits, also could be wrong, consult an actual U2F/FIDO professional), Chrome now exposes certain device specific things as FIDO keys as of relatively recently (assuming the OS doesn't have native FIDO handling, in which case it has the OS handle it instead). I believe Touch ID is considered a FIDO-only option, and since my.1password.com now asks for FIDO rather than U2F, Touch ID gets shown as "a security key". If I had to guess (I no longer have access to a Touch ID MacBook), registering Touch ID as a new security key would probably work.

To be clear, in that case you are not registering your fingerprint through that method (again assuming that even works), you are registering a "token" that is unlocked by the T2 chip on your Mac when you use your fingerprint successfully. You wouldn't be able to go to a new Macbook and use that same finger and have it act as the same security key, because that T2 chip on a new device wouldn't have access to your same token.

Since Windows 10 as of relatively recently has native FIDO support, instead of Chrome handling the FIDO transaction, I get a native Windows dialog box and Windows handles the FIDO transaction:

• pmcatarino
    pmcatarino
    Community Member

Hi @plttn

Thanks for the explanation. Definitely going to try that and what you say makes complete sense.

I have a Yubikey and that one works as expected with Chrome. Haven't tried with Firefox yet.

I'll post here the results of my attempt.

Thanks!

• :+1: :)

We would love to hear about it and any thoughts along the way!

• pmcatarino
    pmcatarino
    Community Member

It doesn't work.

When trying to register a new security key, the only option that is available is the USB security key. Sadly. no Touch ID/sensor option. It would be cool if it could work like @plttn said.

But the sensor option does appear if trying to login on 1password.com.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

Yeah, FIDO is a bit of a weird edge cases for everything with new hardware features

(also it looks like my previous post in here got stuck behind moderation queue somehow)

• Sorry about that @plttn. I've approved the post.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.