A family member's emergency kit may have been compromised.

ABDavid
ABDavid
Community Member
edited March 2020 in Families

A member of my family plan emailed her emergency kit to me. It did not include the master password, but I'm worried that her email account isn't secure. Is the security of her account compromised?

1Password Version: 7.4.3 (70403002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.16
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Emergency Kit concern

Comments

• Hi @ABDavid

It sounds like there are a couple of different issues here. I'd be happy to help.

First: if her email account isn't secure, that should be addressed right away. Access to someone's email is an incredibly powerful tool for an attacker to wield. Likely nearly as powerful as access to her 1Password account. So, I would suggest securing her email account first.

Once that is complete then I would recommend changing her Secret Key and generating a fresh Emergency Kit. This can be done at https://my.1password.com/profile by clicking "Regenerate Secret Key" (from her 1Password account).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ABDavid
    ABDavid
    Community Member

Thank you very much, Ben! I just did as you suggested. Now that I've done regenerated her secret key, will that cause an interruption to her 1Password account, or is she okay to continue using it as before?

• @ABDavid

She may be prompted to re-enter the (new) Secret Key on the client apps, but if she is then as long as she does that there shouldn't be any problem. :) Was she able to generate a new Emergency Kit okay? I'd recommend deleting any copies of the old one to avoid any confusion.

Ben

• ABDavid
    ABDavid
    Community Member

@Ben

I was able to regenerate the Emergency Kit for her. I'll make sure the old Emergency Kits are deleted. Thanks again!

• You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.